The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When did you first 'find' TDC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Postcard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowan Morrison wrote:
Miff wrote:
I first discovered TDC attached to the front of my breakfast cereal.

That one is my favourite. Very Happy

I agree.

Mine's quite rubbish (i've got cool stories for other people though), Fin came out, National Express, Father Ted... etc etc.

You may call me Mr Comelately.
Tiinkerbell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickyboy wrote:
Blimey Tiink...

Our paths must have crossed, however fleetingly, at Bretton! I was on the DA course from 1995-98, so I'll have been in my third year when you started. I'm sure you must have attended Ikon on Monday nights or Source on Wednesdays...

*Gets all misty-eyed and nostalgic*

Incidentally, have you heard about this?

Yeah they must have (paths I am talking about) because I worked at Ikon from my first year!! I hadn't heard about the big event, are you going? I keep meeting Brettoners, one lives two doors down from me and the director of a show I choreographed last summer was one of us too! Ooooohh a new clique.

DA, did you every have any of the dance tutors? (I mean for lessons)

Tiink xx
DELETED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Rickyboy

Location: Between the tick and the tock, wanting to help but bereft of spatulas.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiinkerbell wrote:
Yeah they must have (paths I am talking about) because I worked at Ikon from my first year!! I hadn't heard about the big event, are you going? I keep meeting Brettoners, one lives two doors down from me and the director of a show I choreographed last summer was one of us too! Ooooohh a new clique.

Tiink xx

They must definitely have crossed then! I was a regular Ikonner back in the day. I am going to the do - a few of us have a table booked. That should be an interesting weekend... will you be going too?

We had a couple of dance tutors for our "physical skills" sessions. One called Bob Collins and one called Sandra Phillips, if memory serves. I remember the fearsome head of Dance too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
uncleneil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

95/96: me and my best friend were huge Pulp fans and went to Hamburgs Indie Clubs three times a week. at some point a shy young man asked my friend whether she was interested in seeing a "quite okayish" band with him the next evening. she was curious and agreed.

she went to see Neil with ASAAL and Casanova in a ridiculously small pub and fell in love with Hannon. she converted me quite soon after that. first time i saw TDC was when Neil supported Radiohead in 96 or 97 (97 i suppose, the ticket is somewhere in my cellar since i've moved into this flat last year, so i can't check). ASAAL is my soundtrack to an unhappy lovestory (i was hopelessly in love but the guy was only lukewarm - if at all - to my eerr hot passion). Tonight we fly - if i ever get married, that will have to be the tune. and for my funeral that is, along to The Dogs & The Horses

Almost every Hannon song has a special meaning to me *sniff* argh. Can't imagine being without his music ever again
sheepskin jacket

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember reading a review of liberation in Q (which i think i still have) and thinking it sounded interesting, although it wasnt till casanova and the famous first multiple plays that chris evans did that i could put a song to the name, i then went out and bought the lot, and have never looked back.
Tiinkerbell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickyboy wrote:
Tiinkerbell wrote:

Tiink xx

They must definitely have crossed then! I was a regular Ikonner back in the day. I am going to the do - a few of us have a table booked. That should be an interesting weekend... will you be going too?

We had a couple of dance tutors for our "physical skills" sessions. One called Bob Collins and one called Sandra Phillips, if memory serves. I remember the fearsome head of Dance too!

Not sure if I will go, if some of the Twirlies go I pay put in a visit! I used to have a Sandra she used to make us roll around the floor a lot.

I guess you were at Ikon when we had to wear shirts dickie bows and waistcoats, hang on a tick I'll try and find a photo Smile

Tiink xx
Rickyboy

Location: Between the tick and the tock, wanting to help but bereft of spatulas.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Put a photo up! I can't say I remember the uniform, but I remember never being allowed anywhere near the VIP area near the back. I also remember a massive cock-up in the cloakroom one evening when the woman running it mixed up all the tickets and chaos ensued at closing time. I was first in the queue and I rather uncharacteristically lost my temper...

Did you ever go to Source at all?[/Bretton Hall clique]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cathy W.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the the name TDC a few times since 1994 but it didn't register with me until I heard Neil sing SLATFATF on 5/1/05 and found out through research that Neil Hannon is TDC. Needless to say, my life hasn't been the same since. Laughing
Lot105

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy W. wrote:
I heard the the name TDC a few times since 1994 but it didn't register with me until I heard Neil sing SLATFATF on 5/1/05 and found out through research that Neil Hannon is TDC. Needless to say, my life hasn't been the same since. Laughing

I've been wondering how other Americans found out about TDC. I first learned about Neil thanks to some awful Noel Coward compilation/tribute/cover album cd a friend gave me because she knows I like Marianne Faithfull.
MissDreamy

Location: Bernard Towers, The Castle of Bernard, Bernard Road, Bernardland.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was a Brettonite Tink - I was in the same year as Rickyboy, but I was doing a BA in Theatre Design and Technology.... many a time I staggered, incomprehensible, out of Ikon... Very Happy

I can't remember when I first got into the DC, but the other day when I was clearing out some stuff I found that I had Something For The Weekend on CD single, so I'm guessing it must have been the Casanova years for me! It was quite pleasant finding that single - didn't know I had it!!! Very Happy
Rickyboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around midnight, the covered exit walkway outside Ikon, a popular Monday evening destination for Bretton Hall students. Three drunken students – Rickyboy, MissDreamy and Chris, stagger down the walkway. A neanderthal-looking Local approaches.

Local: (Contemptuously) Are you students?
MissDreamy: Yeah! Are you Wakefield scum?

A tense moment follows. Rickyboy and Chris exchange nervous glances, as the prospect of them having to perhaps get a bit handy arises. Thankfully, the Local slopes off…

Ah… Memories!
Lord Summerisle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That told him.
Rickyboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Tiink… Your time at Bretton started after Buzz (just across the road from Ikon) used to be the regular Monday night spot, and Ikon was still Rooftop Gardens and not student-friendly. Many a bleary night was passed in Buzz. It made Ikon look like… well, somewhere really posh, classy and exclusive at any rate. Happy days.
MissDreamy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickyboy wrote:
Around midnight, the covered exit walkway outside Ikon, a popular Monday evening destination for Bretton Hall students. Three drunken students – Rickyboy, MissDreamy and Chris, stagger down the walkway. A neanderthal-looking Local approaches.

A tense moment follows. Rickyboy and Chris exchange nervous glances, as the prospect of them having to perhaps get a bit handy arises. Thankfully, the Local slopes off…

Ah… Memories!

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Oh goodness. Um. Yes...
lucyamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissDreamy wrote:
Rickyboy wrote:

Ah… Memories!

Don't blush, it's a great story Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Oh goodness. Um. Yes...
Postcard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is the best thing I've heard all day!
Rickyboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there are loads of 'em. Like the several occasions in Sizzlers, Wakefield’s premier chucking-out time fast food outlet, none-too-discreetly commenting on the wobbly, corned beef-legged, unflatteringly scantily clad local "talent" milling around. Getting out of there alive (and with kebab/pizza intact) was always something of an achievement!
Postcard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickyboy wrote:
corned beef-legged

Yeah, that sort of thing's great in World War 1 but keep a lid on it on a Friday night... heh.
MissDreamy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, balls to 'em, they deserved the criticism... the amount of 50 something women in packs you would witness... with boobs out, stomachs out, legs out... *shudder*

Mind you, I am quite sure any of them would have floored me with a single punch... Yes Yes
Postcard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying they didn't... it was a humorous play on corn-beef rations and the legs and trenches and.... ahh sod it.

...i've had far too many odd encouters with slappers...
Rickyboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Ikon with a mate one Saturday night (which was a student-free evening) and it was quite a culture shock. We got chatting with a couple of girls (of the corned beef-leg variety), and one of them rather touchingly said to me "Yer f*ckin' lovely, you are. If ah wun't seein' someone ah'd tap wi' yer."

Missed out there.

Last edited by Rickyboy on Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Au revoir, joie...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postcard wrote:

Tut, and again, tut. We thought better of you.
Postcard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Au revoir, joie... wrote:
Postcard wrote:

Tut, and again, tut. We thought better of you.

Oh no, I survived with my moral fiber intact each time.

Good running legs.
MissDreamy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah nah, I knew what you were on about... I was just trying to, er, justify my actions.... Confused Embarassed

I was twenty-one ish. . .! Very Happy
got_thelightofday_shivers

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: wherewithal Reply with quote

Chordmeister wrote:
Isle of Wight, Summer 1998, in a cottage by the sea at:

50°35'20.56"N
1°13'26.58"W

I first heard Fin, after meinen Bruder, Woddaz, heard National Express (on Radio 2 I guess) and bought the album and waved it in front of my face.

National Express was fun alright, but the whole album (esp. the first half) bowled me over. Similar to what Katja said really: at the time, I didn't think pop music had anything to offer me. On listening to TDC for the first time, it was discovering pop music that I didn't think I'd ever find in existence - pop music as good as I'd imagined (and hoped) pop music could be.

Which was nice.

GPS coordinates, bless you! Wherewithal!
If...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found them after hearing Something For The Weekend on the radio. I said I liked it and...

My flat-mates then turned on me in horror, and forced me to listen to Liberation and Promenade....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: