The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the divine comedy - what is their music like
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Music archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: the divine comedy - what is their music like Reply with quote

hi everyone,

the divine comedy has been on my amazon recommendation list for weeks now. can you please let me know what type of music they do, or post a link to some sound samples, thank you.

they will be playing on the 9th of august near where I live and I am going to see them. but I am cursious about their type of music.

so, who is brave enough to classify it for me?
blue circles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

I suggest you go to your nearest record/compact disc shop, because The Divine Comedy have released albums, you see.

What you do whilst you're there is this: go to the section where The Divine Comedy merchandise is likely to be stored, pick one up, then take it to the man or lady who is standing behind the section of the shop where people go to pay for their purchases.
Hand the product to said person, he/she will then ask you for a certain amount of cash, he/she then puts said product into a plastic carrier bag, you take it home and listen to said product upon some kind of audio hardware - I recommend possibly a CD player.
drykid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it was that unreasonable a question. If people come here to find out about TDC, I'm not sure Claire wants to see them ridiculed for it Razz

Anyway, as for classifying their music, "baroque pop" seemed to be the winning description last time this subject came up.
blue circles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you see, at times like this, I tend to put myself in the position of the person asking the question, and if I was asking myself "what do The Divine Comedy sound like ?" I'd probably answer myself by saying "go and buy something by them".
Is the most obvious and logicalest answer.
hollietu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'good music' is my description and classifies it for me!
Witch

Location: contactable via mobile and email at all times - bah.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon, blue, don't be twatty about it. If I asked someone about a new band, I'd probably prefer a nice answer rather than a 'why don't you ** off to HMV and stop asking me stupid questions' sort of response.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
blue circles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria's Sausage roll recipe.

* Egg — a medium egg, beaten
* Pork "breakfast" sausage — 12-ounce package (Gloria is partial to the Jimmy Dean brand)
* Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets — one package
* Onion — a medium onion, finely chopped
* Breadcrumbs — unflavored, one-half cup
* Parsley — 1.5 tablespoons, finely chopped
* Thyme — one-half teaspoon, dried, crushed
* Ground sage, nutmeg, pepper, cloves (optional) — one-quarter teaspoon of each.

Preheat your oven to 400 F. Put the sausage and dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Pour in half of the beaten egg and mix well. Unfold the puff pastry sheets (roll out if necessary) and cut into three-inch wide strips. Place a "bead" of mixture about three-quarters of an inch in diameter on center of each puff pastry strip. Brush the edges of the strips with beaten egg, then roll up the filled puff pastry into cylinders (the seams should be on the bottom of each cylinder),

Brush the puff pastry cylinders with beaten egg, then cut into one and half inch rolls. Place the rolls seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F and bake for 15 more minutes, or until the sausage rolls are golden brown. Serve while warm. Makes about 20 sausage rolls.
Benny J

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going over to www.labels.tm.fr/divinecomedy where there's some songs in full as well as clips of all album tracks.
Purlieu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything from baroque pop/chamber pop with big orchestral arrangements to acoustic songs and bouncy britpop... it's mostly in standard song formation (rather than being more experimental/electronic/unstructured), but it's rarely obvious pop, and always a little bit different and arty. The music is sometimes a parody of other styles, and the lyrics are usually quite clever/witty/funny. Neil Hannon has a very characteristic, rich voice.
And yeah, they're ** great.
Hope that helps a little. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue circles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it helped me greatly.
Cheers.
If...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their music is like poo on a lollystick...

Or a lollystick in poo.

So say many of my friends; they are wrong. Of course...
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: the divine comedy - what is their music like Reply with quote

Brit wrote:
so, who is brave enough to classify it for me?

I'll try and do a helpful answer. It's so difficult to categorise them, because they have such a huge range - "The Divine Comedy" can be Neil Hannon on stage with an acoustic guitar, or Neil Hannon in front of a full orchestra, belting out huge tunes.

I recommend going through a couple of their albums on Amazon, where sound samples are available. If not, go to your local record shop and ask to hear one of their albums if possible. I definitely think you should buy at least one of their albums before going to see them live.
Christine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Greatest Hits for a selection of the types of music they make.

Or get KaZaa & download for free & decide yourself. I would decribe it as classical pop, but that doen't really cover it........

CXXX
StickFigureNinja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue circles wrote:
Well you see, at times like this, I tend to put myself in the position of the person asking the question, and if I was asking myself "what do The Divine Comedy sound like ?" I'd probably answer myself by saying "go and buy something by them".
Is the most obvious and logicalest answer.

If I was in the person askings position i'd probably think "i can't afford to go buying albums that i dont know if i'll like or not"
blue circles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there you go.

Call me old fashioned, but if I want to hear music by an artist I've previously not heard, and I don't have the imagination to use something like Kazaa to download something, then I bloody well buy it.
If neither option is available to me, I go without.

Anyway, couldn't really give a toss.
Christine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blu,

I'm picking up your rattle & putting it back in the pram!

CXXX
Universal*

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christine wrote:

I'm picking up your rattle & putting it back in the pram!

Don't forget his sausage rolls. He gets awfully cranky without them.

By the way, the media section of this website has some helpful info about TDC. Not sure if that's been mentioned because I skimmed the thread because I think I know about TDC........just a little bit.
But in the beginning I was the TDC BB idiot dunce head. I innocently asked who Joby Talbot was and thought so-and-so (not our dear blue) was going to run me right out of cyber space. Smile I survived. *whew*
Billy Bob Hannon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: the divine comedy - what is their music like Reply with quote

Brit wrote:
classify it for me?

funny
sad
dry
anglo
sharp
witty
posh
outrageous
literary
european
pompous
exagerrated
ridiculous
breathtaking
deep
stupid
silly
tasteful
tasteless
bombastic
personal
affecting
heavenly
clever
superior
absurd
brilliant
addictive
unbelievable
truthful
essential
cjmacs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done william bob!
Universal*

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: the divine comedy - what is their music like Reply with quote

Billy Bob Hannon wrote:
a bunch o words

Awwww shucks B. Bob. That was sweet......and accurate!
Billy Bob Hannon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
cabbage patch girl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, B.Bob has that right.

Its hard to describe TDC, because there's such a wide variety of styles. I'd describe it as honest and sweet, with fantastic lyrics. Sometimes orchestral too, and sometimes very simple.

"If you were a road, I'd go all the way.
If you were the night, I'd sleep in the day.
If you were the day, I'd cry in the night,
For you are the way, the truth and the light."

How about that for beautiful?
Brit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks to all of you - even to blue. Don't worry, it takes a little more to piss me off.

Believe it or not, we have no record shop where I live, the next one is about 40 kms away.

Anyway, the descriptions you gave are very 'picturesque' (can I say that) and I will get hold of one of their albums. Which one do you recommend?
drykid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit wrote:
and I will get hold of one of their albums. Which one do you recommend?

The "A Secret History" compilation is what I'd usually recommend, since it has stuff from all but their first and last two albums, so it gives a good overview. Though since you're seeing them live it would make sense to pick up the last album - "Absent Friends" - since a good number of the songs they'll play will probably be taken from there. So I'd try and get both of those if you can.
Eric the half a bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q Magazine described the Divine Comedy as "what the Pet Shop Boys would sound like if they were born in 1907".

I don't think there are any current artists around who you could compare them to really.

Incidentally, they're not THAT unheard of. Surely you must have heard "National Express", or "Something for the weekend". They were really big hits & got loads of radio & TV ariplay at the time. Are you sure you haven't heard them?

I'd definitely buy A Secret History and lsiten to it a few times before buying at least the latest album, Absent Friends ('cos none of the tracks appear on A Secret History), if not all of the albums.
Brit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for your advise. btw the concert will be in a very small but wonderful club, I am looking forward to it.

btw blue: my FAVOURITE band is I am Kloot who happen to come from your neck of the woods, so I forgive you your grumpiness, my have to do with that Wink
Eric the half a bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - Just noticed you're in Germany. Oops! That explains a lot of things. If you look at the thread entitled The Black Sessions, there's a link there to an unreleased concert, which you can listen to.
Alfie Casanova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike most artists, the best of is a recommended purchase and is an accurate and fair image of Neily's work Yes Yes

As for what their/his music is like, it's like nothing on Earth or the known universe.

(It's also better than sex)
Lodestone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit wrote:

Anyway, the descriptions you gave are very 'picturesque' (can I say that) and I will get hold of one of their albums. Which one do you recommend?

Promenade. Seems to be favoured by the majority as the best, although there is some dissent. it's bloody marvellous, anyway, and it's the best ontroduction to them.

The thing is, each album does sound very different. You'll be beautifully surprised each time :-)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eric the half a bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd avoid "Regeneration" or "Fanfare for the comic muse" until you're familiar with the rest of their stuff. It's not that they're not good, they're just "different".
Alfie Casanova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all "different" though, no offence Eric..
Lodestone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he does like Kloot, so maybe Regeneration is a good bet?

Yeah, the only one you don't buy is Fanfare, partly because you can't without spending large sums on eBay, and partly because it's crud. By TDC standards, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alfie Casanova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to like Fanfare.. guys and girls..

Hello?!

Ah, nutty fudgkins..

Last edited by Alfie Casanova on Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Brit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, quick update

Secret History is not available at present to Germany's amazon

I found an offer for Absent friends for 13,99 Euros (free of postage) so I ordered it. I will search a bit more to find Secret History.
Eric the half a bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's all "different" though, no offence Eric..

I know what you mean. I was actually quite surprised after buying ASH, becoming really familiar with all the tracks on it, and then buying the albums, just how dark and non-commercial most of the non-ASH songs were. I know that sounds a bit stupid, as obviously the're going to release all the most commercial, upbeat songs as singles, but I think ASH is a relection of the "lighter" side of TDC
Lodestone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit wrote:
I found an offer for Absent friends for 13,99 Euros (free of postage) so I ordered it.

Great! It's a wonderful album - their latest.

It's much more bombastic and orchestral than most of their work, especially the first two albums. More symphonic than baroque, perhaps :-) Very Scott Walker influenced, but with more modern elements, too.

The thing with TDC is that they're 'alternative' pop. Neil Hannon takes the pop style - catchy tunes, and so forth - and makes it devestatingly original and beautiful. Using classical instruments extensively is one way of doing this; writing about odd things using very clever lyrics is another.

Hope you like it :-)
Eric the half a bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit, you can buy ASH from the shop on here for only £8. Link:http://www.thedivinecomedy.com/framemerch.htm. You'll need to check that they post to Europe, but I'm sure they do. I ordered from them and it came quite quickly.
Lodestone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and another thing: there are no Absent Friends tracks on A Secret History, so it's still worthwhile buying that, even though it's a compilation. However, I still think it'd be better to buy another album: Liberation or Promenade, for contrast with Absent Friends. Most of the tracks on SH have Absent Friends's bombasticism, so it would be nice to hear something more mellow from them.
Witch

Location: contactable via mobile and email at all times - bah.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first TDC album I bought was Casanova and I still think it's a really good starting point. However, this was after a friend had made me a mix tape (back in the days before CD burners were all the rage), so ASH might well be an ideal introduction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Alfie Casanova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witch wrote:
The first TDC album I bought was Casanova and I still think it's a really good starting point. However, this was after a friend had made me a mix tape (back in the days before CD burners were all the rage), so ASH might well be an ideal introduction.

Casnova is fab, yeah. Lots of different moods and sounds. From that point of view, it is a great starting point. "Through A Long and Sleepless Night" is one of my faves.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Music archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: