The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where did you see tdc for ist ever time?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Live archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keatsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: where did you see tdc for ist ever time? Reply with quote

where did you guys see divine for the 1st time? i think for me it was on chris ginger heeds friday night programme tfi was it called , anyway they were promoting something for the weekend loved them from then and eventually caught up with the back catalogue
happy_hippy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean where did we first come across them, or where did we first see them live or what?
To be honest, I'm not sure where exactly I first came across them, though I do know how I first really got into them.
keatsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i meant came across them 1st
luvly horse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what she said...

first saw them = totp - national express

first saw them live - brixton academy friday 26 october 2001

EDIT: oops
happy_hippy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right so, well I know I saw Mr. Neil being interviewed at one of the V festivals, I think, or maybe it was a Glastonbury? Anyway, before that there was the Father Ted Theme, and my brothers were big FT fans so I got to see that lots. I might have seen them on TOTP for their Casanova stints, but that could have all been a nice dream. And then there was when my brother bought Casanova for me xmas '96, I do believe. That was the one that really caught my attention, and I think it might have preceeded some of the aforementioned events.
First time I saw them live was 21st February 2001 in the New Trinity Centre here in Bristol, because although they had played more local to me before then I could never convince anyone to go with me and at the time wouldn't go alone.
So, in general, I have no real recollection of when I first encountered them, but that is their story in my heart as good as I can remember it. Obviously most of it is probably make-believe, but that'll be our little secret.
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Divine Comedy memory is being a passenger in my Mum's car hearing Something For The Weekend on the radio. It sounded so good with the volume turned up on a summer evening. I liked Becoming More Like Alfie and The Frog Princess after that, and so bought Casanova.

The first time I saw them live was in Sheffield on the release date of Regeneration - March 12 2001 (I had to buy the poster that had the date on it!) Stood at the front, and went a bit too berserk when they played Your Daddy's Car, and dedicated it to "Paul, and all the little people who post messages on our web site." Don't worry, Neil, I won't be quite so scary again in future. Wink
heyitsok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first time i saw them live was at the shepherds bush empire in march 2001.
first time i heard them was national express on some cd, (tho i later recognised a couple of tracks on secret history so who knows?!)
first time i saw them on tv? hmmm mightve been on totp doing pop singers fear... i really cant remember.
drykid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first saw them doing 'Something For the Weekend' on some ITV Saturday night program (I can't remember the name of the program, but Lee Hurst was on it too.) I've still got a tape of it somewhere, must've been impressed to keep it this long.

The Father Ted theme was from before then, yeah? I knew them from that, obviously, but I'd never actually seen them in the flesh, so to speak, until that ITV thing.
Chordmeister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOTP, didn't know who they were then...

Live, Canvey Island... fond memories.... <cue whole-tone-scale harp glissandi and wavy picture effect>
luvly horse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we call that the wibble round these here parts

aaaaah canvey... *sigh*
chrischrischris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaahhh Canvey - still got your text Luvly - "10.02 23.02 Just gave your cd to rob to give to neil! Hows that? Mwah"

Neil was...just...There *points there*

sniff
msboyd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first heard of them shortly before Casanova came out -- a friend insisted I listen to Promenade and I was hooked. Rushed out to buy Casanova about 2 months later when it was released.

Biggest regret: had Shepherds Bush Empire tickets in '96, friends were in town from America, and couldn't go. Should have made them buy scalped ones or left them to their own devices for the evening, since I moved back to America about a year later.

First time live: Bristol, 2001.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jennifer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First heard: Mark and Lard during the night playing Berniece bobs her hair
First saw: a piccie and article in either the NME or Q (it's up my loft somewhere)
First saw saw: Supporting Tori Amos 10 years ago!! (feels old)
Witch

Location: contactable via mobile and email at all times - bah.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time heard: the first time I was aware of hearing them was when 'National Express' came out, which I fell in love with.

First time seen: the Regen preview gig at the Liquid Rooms, Edinburgh (25th February 2000).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November 1993 - Live at "Le Bikini" - Toulouse - France

That was just yesterday and I'm still about to turn 23, yes, yes, I'm young and irresponsible, yes Confused
sixofone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First heard them a little over a year ago, when I first saw Father Ted. I loved the theme music. At the end credits it said music by The Divine Comedy. I misinterpreted that as the song was called "The Divine Comedy." I looked on amazon to no avail. About a month later when I was at a Father Ted site it had a download of the theme music, the Songs of Love version from Casanova. I was unaware that it was illegal since I had never heard of TDC before so I downloaded it and fell in love with the song. I finally figured out I had misinterpreted the thing so I went to amazon and listened to some samples and then bought Casanova and Fin de Siecle.
froggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: oooh the memories Reply with quote

it would be in just before cassanova came out - fell in love with that album and then saw them at V97 - which was amazing,
I lay on the grass after they had finished playing just grinning to myself because I had finally seen him - live!!!
(then the security people had to spoil it as they kept coming to ask me how i was - think they though i was high, ..... I was but who needs drugs with the euphoria I get from seeing Neil live")
and I SWEAR he pointed at me when he sang frog princess and that wonderful line "you don't really love me.."
Come Home Billy Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First read about them in Select magazine.

First heard them on a Volume compilation ( Through a Long and Sleepless Night)

First saw them/him in Tex-ass: http://forums.thedivinecomedy.com/viewtopic.php?t=1720
rachel2205

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First heard them being plugged on Chris Evans' radio show - Something for the Weekend. Thought it was a crazy song but forgot about TDC for a while.

Didn't see TDC live until 2002. Only done so the once, unlike the rest of these dieharders.
drykid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachel2205 wrote:
Didn't see TDC live until 2002. Only done so the once, unlike the rest of these dieharders.

Nah, I've only seen them once (Wolverhampton, 2001), which is why I discretely ignored the live side of things. But you've pricked my conscience now Razz
Kymil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I ever saw TDC :
on TV canal + Nulle part ailleurs in 1996
playing Something For The Week-End

First gig I attended:
02 April 1997 at La Cigale
playing with the Brunel Ensemble

next gigs I have attended later ( 4 or 5 ) were without an orchestral ensemble.
I can't wait for next gig at Le Grand Rex

Kymil
supernaturalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First song I've heard: Europop
First time I saw then: may 1994, Marseille, France - Promenade Tour.
Geordie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time heard of them:

That Woodshed Song, on TFI Friday

First Time Live:

In a small tent at The Reading Festival in the mid 90's, suits and everything, was dead impressed.

Very Happy
www.tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I feel so young - I remember liking Something For The Weekend when I heard it on a cousin's compilation CD (I'd have been about 12 then, I reckon!), but only really got into them when I bought A Secret History, having a hankering for National Express some time in 2000.

Sometime after that I saw the Secret History Ltd. Edition book & rarities CD going cheap, so I got to see the whole other side to TDC, hearing the songs from that before all the album versions.

First saw them live in the Edinburgh Festival 02, at the Queens Hall, which was lovely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gilderoy Lockheart

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First heard 'em when the Evans boy played 'Something for the Weekend' on his breakfast show.

First saw 'em live at the QM Union in Glasgow on the Regeneration tour in March 2001.
Lazarus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First seen: June94, Brussels. (football world cup period then...that'd explain Neil swapping a full verse of The Booklovers into the list of Belgium's national team players ! And no, it's definitely impossible to get a bootleg of this) Shocked
Matt C

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First saw them supporting Supergrass at the Astoria back in '96. I remember thinking they were really great but unfortunately the rest of the crowd didn't share my enthusiasm and started lobbing pints at poor old Neil and Co.

When me and my friend came outside after the gig the band were walking down Charing Cross Road messing about.
Geordie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazarus wrote:
First seen: June94, Brussels. (football world cup period then...that'd explain Neil swapping a full verse of The Booklovers into the list of Belgium's national team players ! And no, it's definitely impossible to get a bootleg of this) Shocked

Hee hee, didn't know about that! Did Phillipe Albert feature??

Question Very Happy
Lazarus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't remember. Happy moments when pronoucing flemish players' names.
Absolute Power

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glastonbury '98.

First heard on that Chris Evans Radio 1 Breakfast show.

First album Casanova.

First sexual experience. Negligable.
agentcooper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazarus wrote:

Excellent!

I first saw DC in Bordeaux around the same time - possibly a few months earlier. It was around the time Prom came out, anyway.

He did a similar thing on that occasion, adding a vocal to Europe By Train - basically a list of European towns that seemed fairly random at first but gradually seemed to focus into a route that ended at Bordeaux! That really was a bit special.
YoungManWithUnhealthyTan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw them support Gene sometime back in 95 I think.
My impression was of an over-sized band with a worrying penchant for militaristic drumbeats, fronted by a ridiculously dressed tiny little fella with an implausibly deep voice!
I remember feeling quite irritated by the whole thing!
Geordie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilypod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First heard & saw: Video for 'Something For The Weekend' on Dave Fanning's Sunday morning music show, circa 1996.
First heard live: Cork City Hall, 1998.
Pallas Athene

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I hear DC was as part of a weekend jingle on Capital fm at some point in the mid-90's. They had basically fused songs involving weekends together and would play it about 6pm on a Friday evening to herald the coming of the weekend. The only bit of DC in the jingle was the 'weekend, it's something for the weekend' bit.

Then a couple of years later I saw a video for 'Everybody knows' and thought that this band had to be the funniest thing on earth. I resolved to buy a CD but didn't know their name, so forgot about it until I saw Neil on Top of the Pops singing 'I went to a marvellous party'. Once again I resolved to buy a CD, now imbued with the knowledge of their name. But didn't because I was a teenager with no pocket money. So I forgot again until my first year at university (a mere five years ago) when a friend lent me 'A Secret History' and then I realised how many of their songs I actually knew already. I then bought it the following week.

Oddly I never knew them off Father Ted because I had never been allowed to watch it, what with my mother being Irish and a Catholic. She never found it funny. She still doesn't.

First time I saw TDC was 2001 in London somewhere. Can't remember the venue, though I believe it was in north London.

Just thought I'd share that with you.
rachel2205

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heeeeeeeeeeey, we're Irish (and Yorkshire) Catholic, and we lurve Father Ted!
Pallas Athene

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like Father Ted too; it's delightfully surreal and I especially love the guest appearances by Graham Norton. But my mum's just like that; doesn't think that the Church or any religion in general is the right subject matter for comedy and felt that the series merely reinforced the 'stupid / drunk Irishman' stereotype. But I can understand that she'd be sensitive about that given that when she first arrived in London as a twentysomething they used to have signs on the pubs and shops saying 'no dogs, or Irish'.

But back to Father Ted, I've never actually seen the episode with Neil Hannon in it!
happy_hippy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't he just get mentioned in it, though? Or is he in the xmas special?
StickFigureNinja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go check my dvds now.
(i cant beleive I've got the complete father ted and i still havent watched all of them.)
happy_hippy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm misssing the one with Jack on the front - season 2 part 2, me thinks.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Live archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: