The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hear Absent Friends bits - officially, on Sunday (in UK)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Music archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaz J

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Hear Absent Friends bits - officially, on Sunday (in UK) Reply with quote

Just seen advert for the Sunday Times. Each month they do a CD-rom with previews of the month's dvd, movies and cds. This one includes Absent Friends in the music listening section. If one that I had a few months back is anything to go by, there'll be 30 seconds clips of 5 or 6 songs.
Might be of some use to some people, although it does mean buying the Sunday Times. Wink
www.tom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I noticed that too - I hope they've got more than just Billy Bird on there Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drykid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed a dilemma - the lure of new TDC material is strong, but the desire not to be seen in public with a copy of The Sunday Times is also a powerful force.

Maybe someone can pick up a copy early tomorrow and post on here what exactly is on it, so we've got a better idea if it's worth getting?
Flip

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hear Absent Friends bits - officially, on Sunday (in UK) Reply with quote

The Sunday Times is great! If you ignore a lot of the political yawnsome garbage, it has some great articles. Moreover, the cartoon pull-out is fab.
airboy paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know whether i want to listen to snippets or not. itll probably be cooler having not heard any of the songs (other than billy bird twice), and besides, the songs may tease me, hmmm...
Flip

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit to having heard the promo of 'Mutual Friend' yesterday... It is utterly, absolutely, entirely superb in every imaginable way. I can't believe the beautiful things he's done with it, when you compare it to the live stuff. I'm not going to describe it in any way, other than to say it's perfect. From what I've heard to date, this album is going to eclipse Promenade, and then some.
airboy paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, i have high hopes of this being my favourite dc album. am always undecided about which dc album is his best genius album, but i'm expecting absent friends to be that album. it will be a great day!
Flip

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was chatting to a chap the other day about me seeing the Divine Comedy in Liverpool etc etc..After we got past the 'are they the ones that did the song about the bus?' conversation, he said he'd bought the last one, when they were going through their 'long haired indie type phase'...(Regeneration) 'That one was really good, like proper music instead of the silly stuff' said he.
drykid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip wrote:
I was chatting to a chap the other day about me seeing the Divine Comedy in Liverpool etc etc..After we got past the 'are they the ones that did the song about the bus?' conversation, he said he'd bought the last one, when they were going through their 'long haired indie type phase'...(Regeneration) 'That one was really good, like proper music instead of the silly stuff' said he.

It does seem that most people have a preference for either 'early' TDC or for Regeneration (I count myself in the former category, though that's not to say Regeneration is in any way a bad album, by most other artists standards it would be great.) People who like Regeneration and the albums that preceded it to an equal degree seem to be a rarity. Although having said that everyone will probably disagree with me now Razz
drykid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hear Absent Friends bits - officially, on Sunday (in UK) Reply with quote

Flip wrote:
The Sunday Times is great! If you ignore a lot of the political yawnsome garbage, it has some great articles. Moreover, the cartoon pull-out is fab.

Well, it's the political stuff that annoys me, I'm sure you're right in saying that if I could get past that I'd probably enjoy some of the rest of it.

Last edited by drykid on Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
airboy paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*disagrees with you now* Very Happy

they're all great, yup. i think regeneration may be my favourite, but it's definitely not the atypical tdc album. old and new tdc are cool, other than super old fanfare i'm not super fond of, but super new tdc i shall no doubt be super duper fond of
airboy paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and just have to add, my main gripe with those clever papers is the damn size of them!!! surely clever people should realise that having newspapers that size is just damn stupid! retards.
Flip

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Regeneration has some of the best tracks he's ever written, both lyrically and musically. The whole album just sounds so 'complete' somehow .. It's brilliant. It gets better and better the more I listen to it. That said, I love putting Promenade in too, and having a good sing-a-long.. There's nothing quite like 'Going Downhill Fast' on a sunny day.

If I had to put them in order, and we've been through this a thousand times, and it changes daily - but it would be

Regeneration
Casanova
Promenade
Short Album
Liberation
Fin De Siecle

With Secret History obviously floating up and down the list.

..but then there's songs I *love* on all of them.. Ah.. feck it. They're all great. Put them in a line or something.
rachel2205

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hear Absent Friends bits - officially, on Sunday (in UK) Reply with quote

Flip wrote:

Yeah, I get the Sunday Times for the supplements! I do like the trashy Style section, and the Culture is good for reviews and TV. Don't really read the news section... Since I'm a bleeding heart liberal I'm more of a Guardian girl.
airboy paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip wrote:
With Secret History obviously floating up and down the list.

..but then there's songs I *love* on all of them.. Ah.. feck it. They're all great. Put them in a line or something.

but what goes at the start of the line? Very Happy
maybe a circle would be best.
a secret history really is a masterpiece too, makes me brilliantly happy. i keep thinking of it as just a collection of the other albums, but it does have its own new stuff too. like too young to die, which is okay, but nice build up, marvellous party which is brilliant, that great poppy popsingers, and the excellent unbeatable ginsoaked boy. plus it starts off with the superb combo of national express and something for the weekend- the first makes me super happy, and the second always makes in awe of it's total perfection. yay secret history!
drykid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airboy paul wrote:
and just have to add, my main gripe with those clever papers is the damn size of them!!! surely clever people should realise that having newspapers that size is just damn stupid! retards.

Well, it always used to be a snobbish thing, by having it broadsheet size it was some kind of statement about it not being a tabloid. But yeah, they're ridiculous to read, laying them out on the floor is probably the only way to do it successfully. They all seem to be biting the dust now, what with the Telegraph / Independent having gone tabloid-sized, and the Times to follow IIRC. The Guardian will soon be the only one left (in more ways than one Razz)
drykid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airboy paul wrote:
a secret history really is a masterpiece too, makes me brilliantly happy. i keep thinking of it as just a collection of the other albums, but it does have its own new stuff too. like too young to die, which is okay, but nice build up,

I love Too Young To Die personally, but the lyric hmmm maybe it's an age thing. I certainly think the older you get the more you identify with a song like that. But I'll shut up before I show my age Razz
Gaz J

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drykid wrote:

Well, it always used to be a snobbish thing, by having it broadsheet size it was some kind of statement about it not being a tabloid. But yeah, they're ridiculous to read, laying them out on the floor is probably the only way to do it successfully. They all seem to be biting the dust now, what with the Telegraph / Independent having gone tabloid-sized, and the Times to follow IIRC. The Guardian will soon be the only one left (in more ways than one Razz)

It's the Indie and The Times thus far. Guardian refuse to, and Telegraph have stopped trials cos of the current crisis over its ownership. From a personal perspective, The Times tabloid looks like someone's tried to squeeze the broadsheet into a tabloid in a quick break from doing the broadsheet. The Indie actually appears to have had some time spent on it, and I can only recommend it. Yes, it's my paper of choice, although their music critics, Andy Gill (Fridays) and Simon Price (Sundays) sometimes need a bucket of cold water on them. That said, both write excellently even if I do disagree with them.
drykid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz James wrote:
It's the Indie and The Times thus far. Guardian refuse to, and Telegraph have stopped trials cos of the current crisis over its ownership. From a personal perspective, The Times tabloid looks like someone's tried to squeeze the broadsheet into a tabloid in a quick break from doing the broadsheet. The Indie actually appears to have had some time spent on it, and I can only recommend it. Yes, it's my paper of choice, although their music critics, Andy Gill (Fridays) and Simon Price (Sundays) sometimes need a bucket of cold water on them. That said, both write excellently even if I do disagree with them.

Ooops wrong way round then. I imagine the Telegraph will go that way eventually though when they've worked out who actually owns them. The only one I've bought regularly is The Independent, and I do like it. The thing that surprised me about it is that it seems to have far more in it. Obviously if you squeeze the contents of a broadsheet into a tabloid-size you're going to end up with a lot more pages, but somehow it feels more substantial as a result.

I was never really a fan of Andy Gill - I always find myself disagreeing with him. He always seemed to have some kind of thing against white indie guitar bands (particularly during the Britpop era), which always bugged me, probably because he used to be in one. Simon Price is Simon Price, he's a bit like Swells in that he seems to think himself more important than the music he writes about. Plus, I saw him on a Manics documentary once, and he looked a total prat...
Lilypod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airboy paul wrote:
i don't know whether i want to listen to snippets or not. itll probably be cooler having not heard any of the songs (other than billy bird twice), and besides, the songs may tease me, hmmm...

I succumbed. Just hadn't heard anything from the new album. Can't really get much indication from it what the new album will be like, though. But I did love what was amongst their Divine Comedy suggestions for "If you like this, try these":
ste5131

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

Come Come Billy Bird
Charmed Life
Absent Friends
The Happy Goth
Our Mutual Friend
Sticks And Stones
ste5131

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screenshots and pics:

http://www.divineguitar.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
Flip

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the hangover from hell, and yet off to the village I go...

Cheers for that Ste! Much appreciated.
ste5131

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime Wink
Witch

Location: contactable via mobile and email at all times - bah.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sunday Times must be the heaviest bloody newspaper in the world!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Flip

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww... This album is going to be the best ever. It really is.

Billy Bird and Mutual Friend (the two I've heard in full) are just the start of it! I've not read any of the spoiler threads properly, but I'm sure someone must have mentioned 'Bonanza' when talking about 'Absent Friends'? .. And that sixties feel to 'Happy Goth'.. and that Bass run!! Fan-fecking-tastic.. I really REALLY can't wait.

'Mutual Friend' really is beautiful.

Benny J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should anyone not be able to get a copy of the Times, drop me a PM and I should be able to send you a copy of the CD or, if you'd prefer, the MP3s off the disc via email. Smile

EDIT: Have a look on the CD under assets/images/music/divine. For some reason, there's pictures of the covers of Rockin' The Suburbs, Pulp's Hits, Passionova by Black Box Recorder and the new Rufus one. How odd.

Last edited by Benny J on Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Witch

Location: contactable via mobile and email at all times - bah.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*does the happy dance of glee*

Hannoncom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Lilypod, did you know that Rufus is playing here in May at Vicar Street?
Gaz J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny J wrote:

EDIT: Have a look on the CD under assets/images/music/divine. For some reason, there's pictures of the covers of Rockin' The Suburbs, Pulp's Hits, Passionova by Black Box Recorder and the new Rufus one. How odd.

Isn't that for the 'like this, try these' thing?
Benny J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<slaps head> Yep, that's it.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to hear one of these samples but has no disc, I've put one up here.
Lilypod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witch wrote:
The Sunday Times must be the heaviest bloody newspaper in the world!

The guy who sold me mine remarked "You'd need a bike to get that bloody thing home!"

Hannoncom wrote:
hey Lilypod, did you know that Rufus is playing here in May at Vicar Street?

Yes Yes Yes, but thanks anyway for mentioning it. Got my tickets for it a few days ago. Are you going?
Flip

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>The guy who sold me mine remarked "You'd need a bike to get that
>bloody thing home!"

It is huuuuuuuuuuge.. But you get a lot of reading for your money I guess.
drykid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip wrote:
>It is huuuuuuuuuuge..

Size isn't everything Razz
Mr Nude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it worth going to the shop for?
Rowan Morrison

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Me just got back from the supermarche with my copy. Now if only I could find the CD amongst all this crap.
www.tom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo - I like what I hear Smile

I can see Happy Goth being pretty darned successful, with a bit of promotion... I'm already humming it!

Bit of a sarky review, I though, never mind though.
Mr Nude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - the write-up isn't exactly glowing is it? Ah well. Who cares what he thinks...?

I went to the supermarket for mine - one copy of the ST left, no CD inside it. Went to Spar, one copy of the ST left, CD inside. Thank God.
Gilderoy Lockheart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I bloody knew Joby would just spend the leccy money on port and cigars..."
ste5131

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gilders! that's bandwidth theft!

(only opportuniuty I'll get to roll heads)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Music archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: