The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2001 chat transcript with Neil

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> TV / Radio / Press archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: 2001 chat transcript with Neil Reply with quote

Found that on the 'inrocks' website and just spent 1 hour translating it.

Chat session with The Divine Comedy
March 28th, 2001
Neil and Rob answered some questions asked by fans on a chat session.

Good evening everyone, we're glad to welcome Neil Hannon and Rob Farrer.

Bonjour et merci for coming to the site !

Regeneration : Neil , after making 7 albums, how do you feel? Like a true rock'n'roll icon or like a young aspiring musician who wears an ironic smile on the cover of his album?

I'm not Phil Collins yet. I'm not Britney Spears either.

Nanou : Evening Neil, why don't u get more coverage on french television? Do you think those media people don't want to see you?

We've done a lot of press here: radio, magazines, internet. I'm sure that given time, there'll be television too.

Regeneration : On Regeneration, your voice clearly calms down. U think we'll never hear anything like "Charge" again?

Charge seems so far, so very far. It's a world from me now. But hearing my voice on that track still makes me laugh!

André Tissieres : Is it your record label Parlophone who forced that change of image or is it your own personal decision?
I love the Pet Shop Boys, how was it working with them? Thx.

That change of look thing, it's like a snake losing his skin. It's exactly the same, yet different. We did a song for the Twentieth Century Blues album, covering Noel Coward songs, which Neil Tennant worked on . He helped us out with the song we had recorded for that album.
So yes in a way u could say that we've worked with the Pet Shop Boys.

Acarole : In an interview u gave to the Inrocks, you say that you sometimes find it hard to sing some songs which you find
too naive or so far away from ur current mind set. Can u name one song that u will always find easy to sing, the one which u think will always stick with what's in ur heart?

There are really not a lot of songs which I have a problem with, lyric wise. Usually the difficulties come with the arrangements, and how tricky it is sometimes to kind of play them in a fresh way. That's the difficult part when playing old songs.

Lazarus : I think the running order on Regeneration is particulary clever, perhaps even more than on previous records. Do u find it very important, cos we often have the impression that we're listening to ur albums as if they were concepts.

Glad u liked the record! It was important for us to make that change. And it wouldn't have been possible in the past. It doesn't mean we regret what we've done before.It was just the right time to move on.
The running order was critical in that sense.

Thierry : How did u meet up with Nigel Godrich ?

He was on a list of producers that we and the record company had done. Luckily for us he was first choice on both our list and the record company's one.

Special K : aren't you afraid that Nigel Godrich would try to make ur music sound like Radiohead ?

No, he had just been working with them for a year. The last thing he wanted, and we wanted, was to make a record à la
Radiohead. Saying that, we're big Radiohead fans.

Fictio : I'm listening to Eye of The Needle on repeat. Have u experienced what u tell in the song? If not, how did the idea came to you?

Yes, that autobiographical. It's about something that happened in my teenage years. I remember people passing by me as I was sitting in the church, and sometimes my dad would ask me to count the number of people going to communion, and I loved to do that.

Lazarus : the intro of Eye of the Needle sounds a lot like the intro to the PUlp song, This is Hardcore, innit?

Never noticed that before, but yes I can see a similarity. Anyway it's pure coincidence. Saying that, we're huge Pulp fans.

Mathieu : the intro to Bath (on the Promenade album), is that a tribute to Philip Glass ?

I'm a big fan of Philip Glass and Michael Nyman, they both have influenced that record heavily.

Fictio : at the end of Note To Self, one can hear people play table tennis. Did u do it a lot in the studio?

Every single day, all day long!!! At the end of the record I was still very bad at it.

Dave : the lyrics to Dumb it Down have a politic reference. Do you think it's the band's responsability?

It's the band's responsability to write songs that people can understand through their own experience. If that implies to write about the diseases of society, so be it !

Alfy : ur next concert dates in France?

The Printemps de Bourges, April 18th I think. Then end of May, several gigs in France, including two dates at the Cigale.

Clot : I was at the Oxfort gig on March 21st and I'd like to know who played support for you.

It was Matthew Jay, a yound lad that's also signed on Parlophone. We like him a lot, him and his band.

Judy : Would u like to do a duet? And who with?

Eminem.

My : U mention Eminem. U still like him even though he's homophobiac and racist? Doesn't that bother you?

He's just in for the fun, to do a show. He shares his opinion on american society with his audience. He's clever and ridiculous at the same time. If you still haven't got a clue about who he is really, just listen to the last verse of 'Stan'.

Man : have u met with Nick Cave again since 1997?

I saw him doing a very strange show in Dublin, in 1998. He was performing love songs and talked extensively about the subject. I found him very boring and left halfway through the show.

TILT : on the Smiths tribute album you do a cover of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. I think your cover is the best on that record. What do you think of the Smiths and Morrissey solo career ?

I always loved that song, and it was a real opportunity for me to sing it.
Unfortunately I don't think it's a great cover. I've always loved the Smiths but Morrissey alone has never been as good as the band in a whole. But that's only my opinion, it's quite personnal.

Fethi : let's say that Burt Bacharach (or Scott Walker) want u to guest on a new album. Would u accept to do just the backing vocals on only one track, or maybe even play the maracas?

I wanna be the main singer. Rob could do backing vox and Scott Walter the maracas !!!

Rita : the bands u like at the moment?

DAFT PUNK ! At The Drive-In, Lemon Jelly, Roxy Music, Madonna, and Eminem. And Queen of the Stone Age, of course !

À la goutte : You are quite aware of french songwriters, Jacques Brel or Charles Trenet (to which u dedicated National Express at the Trabendo). Do you know about comptemporary french artists?

Yann Tiersen, Air, Ravel, and Daft Punk of course !

Madcap : Were Gainsbourg or Brel really a source of inspiration to you, or do u only say that to please us when u do a concert here?

It's the truth, only the truth and nothing but the truth.
Even if Jacques Brel is belgian.

Maisie : Who's in the outfit in the Bad Ambassador vid?

Robert De Niro, he's a fan.

Gilles : what do you think about filesharing softwares? Are you against the diffusion of songs on the net (live stuff or demos, for instance) that ur record company isn't likely to release?

Music on the internet is quite good, it's a great way for people to have access to music. But I think people should pay to download that music because copyright laws are there to protect the writers and the musicians.
Do you want us to become unemployed??? Some songs of Regeneration have been on our official site before the album came out but it was only to attract people's attention. It's not our goal that they don't buy the album.

Maisie : Do you sometimes read the BB on the official TDC web site?

From time to time, my wife would connect and keep me informed about what is said there. Sometimes I would reply. It's all good fun !

Julie : Hi Neil, would u mind if a female fan of yours offer u a ridiculous gift when u go out of that tiny room?

Only if my life's not in danger.

Mathieu : Neil, I gave u a demo of my own music last time u were in Paris. Did u listen to it? What do u think? I value ur opinion a lot.

Could you tell me what band it is, I receive a lot of cd's !

Mathieu : the band's called Funny Face (in tribute to Audrey who you know well too). I gave it to you at your hotel.

Oh yes I remember listening to it, and liking it. Keep on doing that!

Moz : where do u see yourself in 10 years?

In my bed.
cjmacs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 chat transcript with Neil Reply with quote

thanks l for posting a great interview!!

Moz : where do u see yourself in 10 years?

neil wrote:

In my bed.

Twisted Evil
DELETED

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Witch

Location: contactable via mobile and email at all times - bah.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for translationg, L, much appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Flip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Maisie : Who's in the outfit in the Bad Ambassador vid?

-Robert De Niro, he's a fan. "

Laughing

Cheers for that L, great read!
Witch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

From time to time, my wife would connect and keep me informed about what is said there. Sometimes I would reply. It's all good fun !

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr Nude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could be reading this as we speak! I hope I look presentable.
Universal*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Nude wrote:

You look stunning! The green hat is delightful.

Hey, Thanks L.
StickFigureNinja

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Nude wrote:

You just need to get those wrinkles outof your birthday suit.
L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 chat transcript with Neil Reply with quote

I like this one:

L wrote:

Madcap : Were Gainsbourg or Brel really a source of inspiration to you, or do u only say that to please us when u do a concert here?

It's the truth, only the truth and nothing but the truth.
Even if Jacques Brel is belgian.

Oh and interesting bit 'bout Eminem.
Universal*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 chat transcript with Neil Reply with quote

L wrote:

Oh and interesting bit 'bout Eminem.

Neil wrote:
He's just in for the fun, to do a show. He shares his opinion on american society with his audience. He's clever and ridiculous at the same time. If you still haven't got a clue about who he is really, just listen to the last verse of 'Stan'.

I listen to Eminem. I'm the *ahem* proud owner of:

Last edited by Universal* on Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pip like him 2.
Universal*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.
All the happenin' peeps are in the know. Wink
cjmacs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.urban75.com/Punch/eminem.html
Universal*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj, I have to say that yes, there is great controversy surrounding his music and him, and rightly so. Indeed, there are some tracks that I skip because the words are offensive and I opt NOT to listen.When he starts rambling about women or homosexuals in an ugly, demeaning way, that song goes unplayed. There are times when I wish he'd not not even written some of those words. He crosses many lines for sure. A few of his songs though, target exactly what Neil was commenting on.
One of them is "White America."

I think when anyone dares to admit that they listen to Eminem, they leave themselves wide-open for a bit of a backlash; especially on a music message board of such a supreme artist.

I done flung the door open.
cjmacs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universal* wrote:
cj, I have to say that yes, there is great controversy surrounding his music.....

oh sorry uni - i didn't mean that as a criticism or anything! (i should have noted something but i was too tired to type at that point) that's my favorite eminem site, that's all.

my feelings about him run the same as neil's... and anyone who does a duet with the queen mother at the grammy awards can't be ALL bad... Shocked
Witch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 chat transcript with Neil Reply with quote

L wrote:

Orla: Neil? You might want to take a look at this Barfly thread...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> TV / Radio / Press archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: