The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Music archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brighton Belle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

Apologies if this has been posted already- I haven't been around much lately, but I found this on www.davidbowie.com:

'In the port of Amsterdam, There's a Sailor who sings...

Originally due last year, Next, a tribute to Jacques Brel, is now scheduled for release next week in France (I guess the French deserve it first, even if Brel was a Belgian) and here in the UK on March 15th. David Bowie is represented here by his brilliant version of Amsterdam.

Along with Scott Walker, DB was instrumental in bringing the name of Jacques Brel to a wider audience here in the UK, via this recording of Amsterdam, and through his breathtaking live version of My Death.

Apart from the famous version of My Death performed at Hammersmith Odeon for the last live Ziggy show, (which included some wonderful audience participation..."Me! Me! Me!") David resurrected the song with great success for the Outside tour in 1995.

Anyway, I digress... As I say, Amsterdam is the Bowie recording on this compilation, which is surely worth the price alone just to get Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks on CD! };-) '

Here's the full tracklisting for Next:

01 Mathilda - Scott Walker,
02 If You Go Away - Dusty Springfield
03 Amsterdam - David Bowie
04 Next - Sensational Alex Harvey Band
05 Jackie - Divine Comedy
06 Why Should It Be That Man Gets Bored - Paul Armfield
07 The Lovers - Jimmy Rogers
08 If We Only Have Love - Dionne Warwick
09 Girls And The Dogs - Scott Walker
10 Amsterdam - Anne Watts
11 If You Go Away - Emiliana Torrini
12 Next - Gavin Friday & Man Seezer
13 Litany For A Return - Marc Almond
14 The Desperate Ones - Nina Simone
15 Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks

Smile
Benny J

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coo! That's news for me. Does anyone know which version of Jackie it is? I'm guessing it won't be a new recording, surely more likely to be the b-side to <thinks> TPSFOTPC tape.
Flip

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like that particular cover by DC.. I think Scott Walker and Marc Almond did it way better.... Which is strange when you think of Neils voice, but it just somehow doesn't work for me.
msboyd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How peculiar -- I have a version of Emiliana Torrini from ages ago doing 'If You Go Away' -- I wonder if it's the same one? And ditto for the 'Jackie' of course.

I'll have to check this out, thanks for the heads-up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lilypod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

Ooh, that does look interesting. I think I will be attempting to get that. No Jack L, though. *weeps* They probably don't even know he exists. I'd like to hear the Dionne Warwick and Nina Simone covers, in particular.

Brighton Belle wrote:

*points these two items out to Mr Divine Comedy Board Lurker, for the special bonus CD that he should be preparing...*

Look, another two! Twisted Evil
Brighton Belle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think some of the versions chosen are quite surprising. I'd be interested to know the thinking behind the selections.

I'm off to see the special temporary Jacques Brel exhibition in Brussels next month. It was supposed to finish at the end of 2003 but has been extended, fortunately. Has anyone from here been to see it?
Lilypod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brighton Belle wrote:
I do think some of the versions chosen are quite surprising. I'd be interested to know the thinking behind the selections.

I find it slightly odd that they have two versions each of 'If You Go Away', 'Next', and 'Amsterdam'. Er, it's not exactly as if Brel's songwriting output was miserly...
StickFigureNinja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Divine Comedy wrote:
I don't really like that particular cover by DC.. I think Scott Walker and Marc Almond did it way better.... Which is strange when you think of Neils voice, but it just somehow doesn't work for me.

I think the pace is a bit too fast for Neils voice, not that he cant keep up, but it just doesnt suit his voice. Maybe.
Brighton Belle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilypod wrote:

I find it slightly odd that they have two versions each of 'If You Go Away', 'Next', and 'Amsterdam'. Er, it's not exactly as if Brel's songwriting output was miserly...

Yes, that I agree, that is totally bizarre! Confused Doubtless, I will still buy it though!
sponge monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

davidbowie.com wrote:

O for f*ck's sake. Will these people never learn?

Lilypod wrote:
Er, it's not exactly as if Brel's songwriting output was miserly...

It's not exactly even Brel's songwriting... Wink

davidbowie.com wrote:
...which is surely worth the price alone just to get Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks on CD!

*faints, wakes up and puts on 'Le Moribund'* Very Happy

Seriously though, if you want a proper bit of Brel you'd be much better throwing your money at *this* (at least for starters).

Last edited by sponge monkey on Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
sponge monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

Lilypod wrote:
No Jack L, though. *weeps*

Can you post some links/recommendations? I tried hunting it down last time you mentioned him but couldn't find owt.

Lilypod wrote:
I'd like to hear the Dionne Warwick and Nina Simone covers, in particular.i

I've got a scratchy vinyl version of Nina's 'Ne Me Quitte Pas' which is quite stunning (as is her 'Strange Fruit' from the same LP). Not sure if it's still commercially available but I could run up a quick mp3 if you're interested.
Zeyneb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

Brighton Belle wrote:
I guess the French deserve it first, even if Brel was a Belgian

It's not about deserving, dear, it's about being able to afford it! Most Belgian record companies or Belgian divisions of record companies don't even generate enough to keep their best-sellers (all due to the fact that Belgians aren't really single-buying-souls and that probably many people, such as yours truly, refuse to pay more than 15€ for a cd)
Zeyneb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brighton Belle wrote:

I'm off to see the special temporary Jacques Brel exhibition in Brussels next month. It was supposed to finish at the end of 2003 but has been extended, fortunately. Has anyone from here been to see it?

Hey, cheers for mentioning that! Someone at work was talking about that and how great it was, if it's still on, I might go!
Brighton Belle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

[quote="sponge monkey"]
Brighton Belle wrote:

Lilypod wrote:
Er, it's not exactly as if Brel's songwriting output was miserly...

It's not exactly even Brel's songwriting... Wink

Brighton Belle wrote:
...which is surely worth the price alone just to get Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks on CD!

*faints, wakes up and puts on 'Le Moribund'* Very Happy

Excuse me, these aren't *my* quotes, merely what I lifted from the Bowie site. I personally think Terry Jacks 'Seasons in the Sun is possibly the worst record of all time!
Brighton Belle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

Zeyneb wrote:
Brighton Belle wrote:
I guess the French deserve it first, even if Brel was a Belgian

It's not about deserving, dear, it's about being able to afford it! Most Belgian record companies or Belgian divisions of record companies don't even generate enough to keep their best-sellers (all due to the fact that Belgians aren't really single-buying-souls and that probably many people, such as yours truly, refuse to pay more than 15€ for a cd)

See see my post above. Please don't shoot the messenger! Shocked
Lilypod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

sponge monkey wrote:
Seriously though, if you want a proper bit of Brel you'd be much better throwing your money at *this* (at least for starters).

I want the one in the tin!

sponge monkey wrote:
Can you post some links/recommendations? I tried hunting it down last time you mentioned him but couldn't find owt.

PM me your address! (The tiniest bit of interest, expressed by the unwary, and the letterbox is no longer safe... Smile )

Quote:
I've got a scratchy vinyl version of Nina's 'Ne Me Quitte Pas' which is quite stunning (as is her 'Strange Fruit' from the same LP). Not sure if it's still commercially available but I could run up a quick mp3 if you're interested.

Ooh, yes, please!
Benny J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

Brighton Belle quoting from the Bowie site wrote:
13 Litany For A Return - Marc Almond

I love the reviews for the Marc Almond Brel covers album on Amazon. Most Amazon reviews are blind to how good something usually is, but the ones for that hit the nail on the head. The best quote is The songs are great, the arrangements are great, the whole spirit of this album is great - but, alas, Marc's voice isn't great at all. How refreshing!

To be fair, I don't think that Scott Walker will be topped for English covers of Brel songs. The man has the right voice and arrangements to pull it off.
sponge monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

Brighton Belle wrote:
Excuse me, these aren't *my* quotes, merely what I lifted from the Bowie site. I personally think Terry Jacks 'Seasons in the Sun is possibly the worst record of all time!

Whoops! Sorry BB. That's the problem with hitting the 'quote' button - it automatically puts the poster's name up. My rant was directed at the Bowie poster, not you. Embarassed Very Happy Embarassed
sponge monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

Benny J wrote:
The best quote is The songs are great, the arrangements are great, the whole spirit of this album is great - but, alas, Marc's voice isn't great at all. How refreshing!

*paraphrases old Beatles joke about Ringo's drumming*

A: "He's a nice bloke Marc, but he's not exactly the best singer in the world, is he?"

B: "He's not even the best singer in Soft Cell..."
Black Sheep Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Marc Almond goes, I have to disagree. He's probably my all time favorite singer, songwriter, and performer. Yes, even more so than Neil, but that's only because of the incredible amount of stuff he's released over the years. While his voice may not always be technically perfect, what he does bring to the table is a lot of emotion to his performances. He's also very comfortable singing in many different styles which is rarity among singers today. Just listen to his new album Heart On Snow where he does old Russian folk/love songs if you don't believe me. Another thing about Marc which he doesn't get a lot of credit for is his song writing ability both musically and lyrically. He's an incredible writer who in addition to having written hundreds of songs has also published an autobiography (an amazing inside look at the 80's music scene), and books of poems and fiction.

I think there are a few of the reasons why Marc doesn't often receive the credit he deserves. One is that a lot of people can't seem to look past his image, another is his past success in the 80's (Tainted Love), and finally, but to a lesser extent his personal sexual preference.

Benny J wrote:

To be fair, I don't think that Scott Walker will be topped for English covers of Brel songs. The man has the right voice and arrangements to pull it off.

There's no doubt that Scott Walker is the man, but he also had the luxury of having a huge recording budget and orchestra at his disposal.

It looks like a nice compilation, but I already have Scott's, Neil's and Marc's tracks on other albums so I wouldn't buy this CD unless I found it used or something. I think Brel was brilliant songwriter, but I'm more into singers rather than songs.
Brighton Belle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

black sheep boy wrote:
As far as Marc Almond goes, I have to disagree. He's probably my all time favorite singer, songwriter, and performer. Yes, even more so than Neil, but that's only because of the incredible amount of stuff he's released over the years. While his voice may not always be technically perfect, what he does bring to the table is a lot of emotion to his performances. He's also very comfortable singing in many different styles which is rarity among singers today. Just listen to his new album Heart On Snow where he does old Russian folk/love songs if you don't believe me. Another thing about Marc which he doesn't get a lot of credit for is his song writing ability both musically and lyrically. He's an incredible writer who in addition to having written hundreds of songs has also published an autobiography (an amazing inside look at the 80's music scene), and books of poems and fiction.

I think there are a few of the reasons why Marc doesn't often receive the credit he deserves. One is that a lot of people can't seem to look past his image, another is his past success in the 80's (Tainted Love), and finally, but to a lesser extent his personal sexual preference.

I'll say 'amen' to all of the above! Marc is my favourite artist of all time and anyone who slags him off can see me outside! Wink
adam perks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the Scott Walker version of Mathilde the other day. I just cannot bring myself to like Scott Walker! The original version is sooooo much better...
Zeyneb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

Brighton Belle wrote:

See see my post above. Please don't shoot the messenger! Shocked

Just info my dear, not angry.
Cams

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sponge monkey wrote:
davidbowie.com wrote:

Twisted Evil

sponge monkey wrote:
Lilypod wrote:
No Jack L, though. *weeps*

Can you post some links/recommendations?

I can - had these sitting around for a while:

Amsterdam
If You Go Away/Ne Me Quitte Pas (With Camille O'Sullivan)
The Devils
30th Century Man

Smile

Lilypod wrote:
I want the one in the tin!

£160 in HMV...
Lilypod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cams wrote:
£160 in HMV...

How does a quoted price in 'Mojo' of something like £45 (if I remember right) somehow mutate into £160? I don't even want to try and convert that into les --> €€€.
agentcooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brighton Belle wrote:

No - I thought I had missed it, but if it's still going then I'd really really love to go. Hmmm... now what excuse can I come up with for a trip to Brussels...
agentcooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

Brighton Belle wrote:
03 Amsterdam - David Bowie
04 Next - Sensational Alex Harvey Band

I'd say it was worth getting the album for these two tracks alone - if you don't already own them. Alex Harvey's Next is the only Brel cover I know that surpasses the original. Admittedly I don't know the Nina Simone one but I bet that's probably pretty good too.

Considering that it's obviously a collection of previous recordings they could easily have found a few other worthy efforts rather than duplicating several songs. Maybe they couldn't get the publishing rights.
agentcooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

sponge monkey wrote:

That looks pretty good and I'd endorse your recommendation.

I would also recommend the 'Grand Jacques' 10 volume box set - and if you can't afford to buy it all in one go the volumes are available individually. There's also 'Quand On N'A Que L'Amour' which is a 2-CD condensed version of the Grand Jacques box set with all the best/most famous songs - it doesn't seem to cross over too much with Infiniment either so you would do well to get both.

Track listing as follows:
1.Quand on N'A Que l'Amour
2.Grand Jacques (C'Est Trop Facile)
3.La Valse À Mille Temps
4.Ne Me Quitte Pas
5.Les Flamandes
6.Le Plat Pays
7.Isabelle
8.Je Ne Sais Pas
9.L' Ivrogne
10.Les Biches
11.Rosa
12.Les Bourgeois
13.Madeleine
14.Bruxelles
15.Les Bigotes
16.Les Bonbons
17.Les Bonbons
18.Jef
19.Mathilde
20.Les Vieux
21.Au Suivant
22.Fernand
23.La Chanson de Jacky
24.Ces Gens-Lá
25.Mon Enfance
26.La Chanson des Vieux Amants
27.Vesoul
28.J'Arrive
29.Les Coeurs Tendres
30.L' Enfance
31.Le Moribond [aka 'Seasons in the Sun']
32.Le Dernier Repas
33.La Quete
34.Amsterdam
35.Orly
36.La Ville S'Endormait
37.Les Marquises
agentcooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

agentcooper wrote:
it doesn't seem to cross over too much with Infiniment either so you would do well to get both.

...actually, I've had another look and it does seem to cross over quite a lot so given that Infiniment is half the price and more easily available, I'd go for that one instead.

But sod that and just get the box set.
agentcooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

...and when you're done buying Brel, get *this*
Zeyneb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agentcooper wrote:
Brighton Belle wrote:

No - I thought I had missed it, but if it's still going then I'd really really love to go. Hmmm... now what excuse can I come up with for a trip to Brussels...

Hey, how about we do a big Brussels meet-up. That is if BB's info is accurate.
Excuses to go to Brussels: Nato...EU...Booze...whores...
Brighton Belle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeyneb wrote:
Hey, how about we do a big Brussels meet-up. That is if BB's info is accurate.
Excuses to go to Brussels: Nato...EU...Booze...whores...

Of course my info is accurate! Surprised In fact, I booked my tickets for the Brel exhibition today with a very nice lady at the Artesia Centre for the Arts!
agentcooper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I posted another message here yesterday but it appears not to have got through. I'd love a trip to Brussels but I'm not sure the wife would approve of me saying I was going for the whores. Please let us know all about it BB.

What I posted about was Brel cover versions. I recently heard a wonderful version of Ne Me Quitte Pas late at night on the World Service and after a bit of research on the internet I've discovered it was probably the version by an obscure but prolific Swiss avant garde electronica act called Sudden Infant, so I have ordered their CD that it appears on, and I have also ordered a compilation that it appears on called Macska Leves - filed by AMG under the 'Noise' category, should be interesting... I'll keep y'all posted on developments...
agentcooper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more info:
Macska Leves - "Standouts include Sudden Infant's incredible take on Jacques Brel's crooner ballad Ne Me Quitte Pas (looping a trickle of piano and a weeping violin line under Vocoder chipmunk vocals)"
Sudden Infant
Brighton Belle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agentcooper wrote:
What I posted about was Brel cover versions. I recently heard a wonderful version of Ne Me Quitte Pas late at night on the World Service and after a bit of research on the internet I've discovered it was probably the version by an obscure but prolific Swiss avant garde electronica act called Sudden Infant, so I have ordered their CD that it appears on, and I have also ordered a compilation that it appears on called Macska Leves - filed by AMG under the 'Noise' category, should be interesting... I'll keep y'all posted on developments...

Oh, please let us know what the rest of the album is like. Both of them, in fact.
Lilypod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TDC on new Jacques Brel tribute album Reply with quote

sponge monkey wrote:

Embarassed

I've discovered that I have her singing "Ne Me Quitte Pas" on CD. It was buried on a double disc, and I'd been making beelines for the songs that came after it. Ahem.
Lilypod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get this tribute album in HMV today (and cannily remembered to use my HMV voucher booklet, for once). I was killing time before an in-store performance and picked it up without even realising what it was. The DC number is the same as the B-side to "The Pop Singer's Fear Of The Pollen Count". The blurb for Neil Hannon runs thus:

Just like his predecessors, Bowie and Marc Almond, Neil Hannon, the frail-looking frontman of the Irish group Divine Comedy, was "introduced" to Brel via the ambassadorship of Scott Walker. 'Jackie', his version of Brel's 'La Chanson de Jacky', has only ever appeared on the B side of their 1999 cassette single 'The Pop Singer's Fear Of The Pollen Count.' However, it has become one of their stage classics for the past 10 years.
Brighton Belle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the album well presented? How much are HMV charging for it, if you don't mind me asking? Don't think I can rustle up enough stuff for another Amazon order without paying postage!
Lilypod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was (converting to sterling, me being in Ireland) almost £13, and that was after using a HMV discount voucher. It comes in a brown, cardboard stylee digipack case, and has a booklet in a pocket inside. There's an essay on Brel in French on the first two pages of the booklet, translated into English on the following pages. The artists get a small paragraph each (just about the size of the one I quoted for Neil Hannon), and in between the paragraphs are reproductions of the graphics on the front cover. Does this help?!
Brighton Belle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, thanks for the info! Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Music archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: