The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glasgow Barfly - March 4th!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Live archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannoncom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm really pissed off that I can't enter from here. (dublin) even if i get someone to do it for me in the uk, I don't think I can even use their entry number can I?
anyone gets a spare, please please take pity on a poor DC fan abroad..Smile
add me to the list anyways please?
www.tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer wrote:
"...enter a 'draw' to win a pair of 'passports' to that artist's show"

It's ok Tom if you win you can bring a friend by the looks of it.

Yeh, sorry - had a proper look at the T&Cs now:
"The prize is entry for two people to one of the “Passport – Back to the Bars” shows."

Also noticed that there are 85 pairs of tickets to be won, heehee - not too bad odds I hope, and it'll mean under 200 folk at the gig, crazy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
www.tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilypod - I think if someone wins and can't go, and want to give you their entry, you should be able to go no bother - the winner can just register your name as the winning name, though perhaps with their address, just in case you get caught on the condition which says "The competition is open to all UK residents". But you only need proof of identity, ie name, to get in.

Also, someone here will hopefully have the spare half of their prize to offer Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lilypod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.tom wrote:
Lilypod - I think if someone wins and can't go, and want to give you their entry, you should be able to go no bother

Eh? (Peeps keep mistaking me for other peeps, lately.) That's very kind of the winning someone, but I think it's Hannoncom who wants to go. Smile I'd love to go, but I think I'll wait in hope for an Irish gig date.
www.tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! Not sure what happened there - must have been looking at a post by you below somewhere, or seen Dublin and thought of you...

Hannoncom - ticket sharing applys to you too, of course, as does offer of accomodation in Edinburgh.
Witch

Location: contactable via mobile and email at all times - bah.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accommodation, even of the paid kind, might be easier in Edinburgh all round. Since it's a tourist city, there's a lot more youth hostels and decent budget places kicking about. The last train to Edinburgh from Glasgow is at 11.30pm (costs around £7-8, nearer the £5 mark if you have a young person's railcard). The last bus to Edinburgh leaves at a minute before midnight (I suspect the seriously late buses are reserved for the weekend).

St Christopher's Inns (UK chain of youth hostels)

Travelstay - online searching & booking site for budget accommodation
www.tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only cheapo place I've stayed at in Glasgow was Bunkum Backpackers, which is fine enough - typical youth hostel...

Last bus back Glasgow to Edinburgh is indeed midnight - £6 return, £4.80 with Citylink Student card (free at their website). It is certainly possible to stay out all night and get the 5am or later one back if necessary though, as I did on Monday!

Can hopefully fit a few at mine, anyhow. Especially if someone shares their winnings with me, if I don't win!
Jennifer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to wangle some floor space as well. Thats if anyone's brave enough to get in a car with me from Greenock to Glasgow Smile

(The furtherst I've drove so far is Paisley but I'll get some practice in when the roads are lest frozen)
If...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

black sheep boy wrote:
The Cure just played here back in July to over 50,000 people. Did anyone happen to pick up their new B-sides and Rarities box set that came out yesterday? We ordered it, but didn't receive any. Our distributor must have sold out or under ordered it. Bah!

The Cure are immensely popular everywhere except Britain. It's 'cos people in this country have no taste, and prefer ball-less, soulless tosspots like Coldplay, Red Hot "all our songs sound the same" Chilli Peppers, Radiohead and David Gray. Or boring tosspots like Blur or the now - thankfully - defunct Verve.

If anyone wants to argue about the music taste of the great British public, just look at the number ones of the last year: Will "lantern-jawed puff" Young, "Tat" Tu, Gareth "Please, Kill Me Now" Gates, Robbie "Simply Not As Good As He Thinks He Is" Williams, etc. etc. etc.
Flip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>The Cure are immensely popular everywhere except Britain.

So is David Hasselhoff Wink

>It's 'cos
>people in this country have no taste, and prefer ball-less, soulless
>tosspots like Coldplay, Red Hot "all our songs sound the same" Chilli
>Peppers, Radiohead and David Gray. Or boring tosspots like Blur or the
>now - thankfully - defunct Verve.

They're just current.. The Cure were fab in their day, and they have a superb back catalogue. It's just him still doing that fat clown thing.. it's all so.. um.. old...

>If anyone wants to argue about the music taste of the great British public,
>just look at the number ones of the last year: Will "lantern-jawed puff" >Young, "Tat" Tu, Gareth "Please, Kill Me Now" Gates, Robbie "Simply Not >As Good As He Thinks He Is" Williams, etc. etc. etc

That's a terrible comparison though. To be fair - the Cure have never been a prolific singles band.. they've had a fair few hits of course, but it's like saying when the Cure were around, all music was great.. which it wasn't...If I could be mithered, I'd go and see who was number one when the Cure singles hit the Top 40. I guarantee they'd be equally bad, or likely worse.
Hannoncom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that! Smile I desperately desperately want to go (as does averyone I guess) keeping fingers crossed...
Lilypod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilypod wrote:
I've been looking at the touring schedules of the performers that I like and am foreseeing multiple gig pile-up chaos. It's like being an air traffic controller, watching the blips on the touring screen, all heading towards each other...

Grrrr. Two of my blips just met. I bloody well knew this would happen. I am still intent on avoiding a touring collision. You know that you have become something of a gig junkie when a) you've had to draw up a timetable to keep track of when you're going to what and b) you're intent on perfecting the fine art of bilocation.
If...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Divine Comedy wrote:
... etc. etc... That's a terrible comparison though. To be fair - the Cure have never been a prolific singles band.. they've had a fair few hits of course, but it's like saying when the Cure were around, all music was great.. which it wasn't...If I could be mithered, I'd go and see who was number one when the Cure singles hit the Top 40. I guarantee they'd be equally bad, or likely worse.

Look, stop taking all the fun out of my rants, will you. How dare you be so bloody reasonable in the face of my petulant spite...

Pah! I'm glad that Fat Bob hasn't grown out of his make-up etc. Would generally suggest that he does it 'cos he likes it. And he's still writing great songs. Roll on June and the new album...

Just got Join The Dots, the rarities and b-sides collection. It's really good. Even the b-sides are better than anything in the charts today. Give me Adonais or It Used To Be Me (both 1996) over the latest soft guitar sensation, or whatever, anyday...
Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've entered a couple of times and will do so again when I next top up. I also wish to go if tics are won etc. Should be good. Can't wait for tour dates!!! Any idea as to whether they're going to be for before or after the album release Clairey baby???
Witch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still sending texts, still dreading my mobile bill...
Benny J

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witch wrote:
Still sending texts, still dreading my mobile bill...

Ditto. It's getting silly now. Confused
Casanova

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witch wrote:
List of BBers intending to attend, thus far:

Airboy Paul
Benny J
Coupe
Gilderoy Lockheart
If...
Jennifer
Ma Flys
Pali
Rowan
Witch
www.tom

Any others?

Seeing as I'm in Glasgow and I'm running out of money to text, you can add me please. Wink
Flip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Seeing as I'm in Glasgow and I'm running out of money to text, you can
>add me please.

You're not Hannon_Walker, are you Casanova?
Witch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May as well update this to the most recent page!

Airboy Paul
Benny J
Casanova
Coupe
divtuk
Gilderoy Lockheart
Hannoncom
If...
Jennifer
Ma Flys
Pali
Rowan
Witch
www.tom

Last edited by Witch on Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Casanova

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Divine Comedy wrote:
>Seeing as I'm in Glasgow and I'm running out of money to text, you can
>add me please.

You're not Hannon_Walker, are you Casanova?

That's a good question. Very Happy
Flip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>That's a good question. Very Happy

Tell me! I've bid on the new auction and I'll stop if it's you!!!
Casanova

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Divine Comedy wrote:
>That's a good question. Very Happy

Tell me! I've bid on the new auction and I'll stop if it's you!!!

Yes, indeed it is moi!
Flip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Yes, indeed it is moi!

Ok - I don't want to retract my last bid, as it'll show up.. but if you bid £62 - you'll be in the lead (Superstition from the last auction Very Happy)

I'll not bid anymore.

Sorry about that - wish you'd mentioned it Embarassed
Casanova

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. it's mighty tempting though I must admist the last rung of bids were purely speculative.

I may wait untill the next auction, but will need to consult with the other half of SO.
divtuk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i hereby add my name to the 'people wanting to go' list
Hannoncom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eek! my name's not on the up-dated list. can you add it please Smile have sorted out a cheapo flight with Ryanair so fingers crossed..
Witch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done so.

My only concern is that more and more people who rarely read and only passingly participate in this BB will see this thread and think 'excellent, I'll get all these people texting/auctioning on my behalf'. It's a big enough sacrifice being made by some people on this board to spend a shitload of money sending people they only know via this site to the gig. I'd find it hard to demand those same people to spend the same cash to potentially send someone they've scarcely even heard of to that gig.

I'm not having a go at anyone in particular. However, I feel that the winners of tickets should now have the choice as to who they give the tickets to, as opposed to the lucky-dip method previously mentioned. Else this list will inevitably fill up with unfamiliar names and winners will be forced to hand over tickets to any casual reader who happens upon this board.

This may seem a rather harsh post, but I feel it has to be pointed out. If you win tickets and still want them put into the lucky dip, then I would be the last to have a go at you. However, if you have paid good money to help your friends from this BB go to a gig, I would understand if you were a little irritated for them to go to someone you've scarcely seen on the site.
Jennifer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried texting an entry today and they kept on getting rejected. Anyone else had this problem? I didn't think it closed until the 20th.
Flip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I tried texting an entry today and they kept on getting rejected. Anyone
>else had this problem? I didn't think it closed until the 20th.

I had that a bit at first - but I've not sent any for a couple of days. It just said 'message failed' I think.
StickFigureNinja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my idea.
We start a poll with everyone on there who wants to go as an option, then the rest of the bb votes, and the most popular person wins!
Absolute Power

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manifestos at the ready...

I'm excempt as I'm too southerly and I think there are more worthy fans than I.

Last edited by Absolute Power on Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
www.tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, that is mightily evil...

For those who don't know Hannoncom, I believe when I met her very briefly at the Queen's Hall gig in 2002 she'd been to over 100 DC gigs. If that's not the sign of a real fan I dunno what is...
Flip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Here's my idea.
>We start a poll with everyone on there who wants to go as an option, then
>the rest of the bb votes, and the most popular person wins!

Inspired.

Assuming of course someone we know actually wins.. which is a fairly big assumption I reckon!
www.tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely - at least a handful of us must win a couple of tickets each - there's must be hundreds of votes between a few dozen of us!
StickFigureNinja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Divine Comedy wrote:

Inspired.

Think how fantastic it would be to see each of the potentials posting trying to win out votes.
We should of a pre-poll thread as well, where each contestant can put forward a case for why we should vote for them.
Witch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have to wear jackets with http://forums.thedivinecomedy.com on the back?
www.tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick, would you like to instigate this thread then? I think we have all the people who can actually go signed up by now... I'm a little scared by the prospect mind you.
www.tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though on further thoughts, anyone who's kind enough to give away the places which they win should have the right to choose who they want to give them to - if anyone who wins has a spare ticket and really doesn't want to choose, I guess it's fair though!
Flip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'll be a laugh! Manifestos, arguments, reasons for 'election', bribery - the works Very Happy

I'm tempted to grab another pair of Ebay tickets, just to make sure we've definitely got a 'prize'!
StickFigureNinja

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.tom wrote:
Though on further thoughts, anyone who's kind enough to give away the places which they win should have the right to choose who they want to give them to - if anyone who wins has a spare ticket and really doesn't want to choose, I guess it's fair though!

Yeah, can't argue with that at all. But I was also thinking, what about the other people who are putting money into texting to win the tickets, but dont happen to win, why they shouldnt have some righ tin saying who goes, just cause they were unlucky?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Live archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: