The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neil's new LP (WARNING: contains spoilers!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Music archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universal* wrote:
Universal* wrote:

sorry, I couldn't resist. I should be ashamed. Embarassed

L wrote:

Uni, u should be ashamed of yourself woman!

Insert really cute "honteux" thingy.
(gene) ???

gêné, yes
It's cute, innit?
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job in getting all the lyrics online.. i sure couldnt have done it...
its funny how in mutual friend he says 'And we sang the song that I can’t sing anymore'

i finally listened to the cd in the car loud..and that showed me the mp3's mono'ness... also i noticed all the mp3s contain hiss ..so that shows they havent been encoded too well...crazy... now we DO have something to look forward to..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
L

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we already had something before
ste5131

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have but one comment.....

LAUREN!

Yum!

Razz
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurent yum? go get em
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Universal*

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason wrote:
well...crazy... now we DO have something to look forward to..

L wrote:
we already had something before

Jason wrote:
laurent yum

Get a room.

Or at least take it to the 'switching sides' thread.
It's been a slow day. Is it Saturday yet? Sheesh.
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh.. funny. heres soemthing for u to add .. we played with balls and sticks last night for 20 games. such an easy target for u , universal eh
Absolute Power

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nice job in getting all the lyrics online..

Well I struggled with the verse about Laika in Absent Friends and still not too happy with it but it seems to make sense having read this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2367681.stm
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor dog...
wow your also doing research...u need some sort of award..
Absolute Power

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or locking up.
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im bored so im gonna review the album

absent friends:
catchy, upbeat ..very 60's ..very scott walker with all of the reverbed percussion..reminds me of belle and sebastian with how all the violins, strings and horns play...inclusing the mexican ones in the bridge. Wouldnt be out of place on ASAAL if it werent so upbeat and cheery.

sticks and stones:
the Yann Tiersen accrodian is great. Now this needs to be in a french movie. the bowed bass is great and effective. The drums on the chorus are the same as "someone" continuing the sound of ASAAL. The personrmanc eon this song is well thought out..little things here and there..all of the little changes in the way the parts are played for each verse is cool.
The chorus took me forever to learn the melody of.. but now i think i got it...

leaving today:
reminds me of timewatching for some reason. Its very slow and also recalls a certain scott walker song. The reverbed guitar riff is great and sets the atmosphere for the song. The lyrics are some of the best on the album..you really hear how sad he is to leave.. by the time he says my taxi has arrived you know its a great song. classic even.

billy bird:
its okay. i like the chorus a little.. its like older songs..the production is very dry like on promenade..the drum sound reminds me of older songs.again,really dry. i like the voilin fills a lot. I dont care for this song much though.. doesnt really go anywhere

imaginary friend:
very good song. greta piano playing and percussion.. i have drums in it though ... live version though..it was really much more powerful. Could have been a single if it had the drums. great verse and chorus melodies.

wreck of the beautiful. reminds me of leaving today with the guitar reverberated.great melody for botht he verse and chorus..powerful performance..the womans vocals are very good. whoever she is..great crecendos.. i like how slowly the song builds..the strings sound like they were arranged by sean o' hagen in places which is only a compliment.

our mutual freind:
sounds like the beginning of sticks and stones a bit ...if you knew the live version of this song youll be shocked in how this came out.. strings, percussion and neils vocals. i like the rhythm its so ..whats the word.. tangoey... or soemthing. reminds me of a movie score.the tamborine or slieghbells sound great. I do miss the live drum rocking version though. I like the jam at the end..but i need a stereo copy of this song because in mono the ending just goes on forever and is really boring..im sure it crecendos more on the final version. very good song..

happy goth:
great song..neat new rhythms..salsa or soemthing..what do i know. nice harpsichords too. so many cool instruments are used on this. almost like on a casanova song. i love the solo section..and how it leads intot he final chorus doubling the melody. great bridge witht he glockenspeil. this song is similar to how it was played live except for the prechorus . i love how he sings the line..'if she ever spoke to u' its carried out masterfully..the vocals on this album are great. they could have used more reverb on a couple songs though, like in fin de sicle

freedom road:
yeehaw, this mustve been written in the states. very coutnry..then a electrnic bass line and tiny bass drum machine come in.. i ve heard this vocal melody in tons of other songs..this song is just verse..then thres a small 'dark' bridge which is nice and effective. very atmospeheric.

laikas theme:
putting this next to a kind of slow and borderline boring song like freedom road is just.. i dont know..not my thing...what insturment is this..harp or something.. this is nice.. it sets a nice tone..3 ,min is too long for it though...sounds like film score basically..

charmed life:
amazing. one of neils best. great piano melody great vocal verse and chorus..lyrics continue the theme of his family. bass drum and tamborine lay down the percussion. instrumentation is flawless.

ok thats my half assed review with tons of typical grammar mistakes
blue circles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just can't shut up, can you.

Piss off.
StickFigureNinja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAAAAAAAAY BLOO!
blue circles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welllllllllll, it's all about respect innit, and these people clearly don't have any.

If you want to review it, write it down on a piece of paper, and put it in a drawer.
Black Sheep Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he did post it on the spoilers thread..
Chordmeister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but he failed to meet the 'spoiler' warning requirement in his actual post. Claire clearly specified that the following header:

****---->!*!*!*! W A R N I N G !*!*!*!<----*****
*****---->!*!*!*! S P O I L E R !*!*!*!<----*****

MUST be used when discussing such things.
Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.
Black Sheep Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did she really say that?
blue circles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

black sheep boy wrote:
But he did post it on the spoilers thread..

I don't give a toss whether the thread says *spoiler* on it or not.
This is an official board, and these toerags should acknowledge that fact.
Black Sheep Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy tiger.
airboy paul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on, it's more than fair writing about it. it's a bloomin' spoilers thread. i don't wanna hear the album way in advance, but i don't mind reading about it- unless people were slagging it, then i'd want them to shut up. but if it's all kept in one thread, and claire's already said it's okay, then it's ok, hohummm.
blue circles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thread ???

You go back and count them, honey.

And Claire's just being polite. I don't have to be.
airboy paul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, moan about them in other threads if you will, but moaning about them in a spoilers thread?? it does exactly what it says on the tin.
blue circles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should I have to tiptoe through a minefield of threads just to avoid reading stuff about the new album that we shouldn't even know yet ?

And I'm not just thinking about me - other people don't want it here either.
airboy paul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't have to tiptoe about a spoilers thread though, it says it so in big letters. maybe they should stop making loads of threads about it, and just use one or two (with big SPOILER) stuff, but i'm not too fussed. i'm glad to read positive stuff about it, was sick to the teeth of all the whining about regeneration.
SilentBob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue circles wrote:
Why should I have to tiptoe through a minefield of threads just to avoid reading stuff about the new album that we shouldn't even know yet ?

And I'm not just thinking about me - other people don't want it here either.

Well tough. The board doesn't belong to you either - a version of the album has been leaked and people are listening to it. If it didn't happen now it'd happen a month down the line when promo copies were being sent out and such. The people on here are being nice enough to accept that you and others might not want to listen to the album until it's in a completely locked and finished state and hence marking any threads where they talk about it with the word 'SPOILERS'. And there's about 4 of them. This is not a minefield. If every mine in a minefield was marked with a big sign saying 'MINE' it wouldn't make much sense would it.
What confuses me is that you don't want to know this stuff but you come on these threads, force yourself to read it, then shout abuse at people for what they're saying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue circles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the words "respect" and "official Divine Comedy website" mean anything to you ?

Muppet.
Miiichael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guh. Self important, much?

THERE'S VIOLINS ON THE ALBUM

I hope I've RUINED it for you FOREVER.
blue circles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you go and burrow back into the piece of dog shite you burrowed out of ?
Miiichael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a cretin.
blue circles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The history of you on the Divine Comedy Bulletin Board so far:

"Hello, I've got the new album already ! Look at me - I'm so cool ! I think it's really good, and I will now tell you all about it."

Not up to much really, is it.

1) It requires no intelligence or effort to download the new album - we could all do it if we so desired, but some of us are choosing to wait.

2) I already have some tracks myself, so you telling me that there are violins on it is a little twatty.

3) Even though I already have some tracks myself, I still have the self control to keep quiet about them out of respect for the people that don't wish to know anything about them.

4) Grow up or

5) Find a different set of people to annoy, child.
StickFigureNinja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StickFigureNinja wrote:
YAAAAAAAAY BLOO!
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue circles wrote:
You just can't shut up, can you.

Piss off.

SPOILER THREAD.. idiot

claire.. delete it then
Magnus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason wrote:
SPOILER THREAD.. idiot

[childish]Yaaaaaaaay Jason![/childish]
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i am right.. have claire delete this then if people cant not click on it
SilentBob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue circles wrote:
Do the words "respect" and "official Divine Comedy website" mean anything to you ?

Muppet.

Yes. Hence the use of the word SPOILERS in big capital letters. Yes it's the official site, and the official word is that we can talk about it with that proviso. If Claire said otherwise then I'd disagree with that but respect it. But the official word is go ahead, but don't ruin it for others.

I really don't see what your problem is?! If you don't want to know, don't click the threads marked 'Spoilers'! Everyone else can manage that, you seem to be the only one complaining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Serendipity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what ClaireDC said on the other thread.
Maybe it should be repeated here just so that things are clearer.
ClaireDC wrote:
Hi folks,

A copy of "Absent Friends" becoming available on the Web recently has generated much discussion and I'd like to comment:

First of all, yes we know the album is available and people will hunt it out and discuss it and so on. As we've said before, we know music swapping etc goes on and we usually turn a blind eye to it, especially if it's live track recordings. However, this is the Bulletin Board for the official website and therefore is not the forum for swapping music, especially that which is pre-release material. What has been uploaded is copyrighted pre-release material. This makes it entirely a different category and something we cannot ignore. If people choose to seek this recording out please have the discretion and courtesy to do it away from this Board.

Secondly, we understand the interest in the new album makes it desirable to post up info about it on this BB. We don't have a problem with that. But as some people have commented already, not everyone wants to know about the album in advance of its proper release and so can any threads that discuss it please carry the "spoiler" warning!
Right, I've said my piece. We want everyone to enjoy the album and no one, in particular Neil, would want anything spoilt for anyone.
Absolute Power

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread does quite clearly state spoiler, the fact is that those that have heard the songs just want to exchange views about the tracks. We're all fans at the end of the day and just want to talk about has been heard.

It's difficult to not talk about it. I'd be more worried if no-one was saying anything. It's all damn fine. AND WE'LL ALL BUY THE ALBUM ANYWAY.
Miiichael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue circles wrote:
The history of you on the Divine Comedy Bulletin Board so far:
"Hello, I've got the new album already ! Look at me - I'm so cool ! I think it's really good, and I will now tell you all about it."
Not up to much really, is it.
1) It requires no intelligence or effort to download the new album - we could all do it if we so desired, but some of us are choosing to wait.
2) I already have some tracks myself, so you telling me that there are violins on it is a little twatty.
3) Even though I already have some tracks myself, I still have the self control to keep quiet about them out of respect for the people that don't wish to know anything about them.
4) Grow up or
5) Find a different set of people to annoy, child.

Oh for petes sake. Did you get a lobotomy for Christmas? How on earth did you come to the conclusion that I was trying to *impress* people by posting an opinion on the album? You're choosing to wait, but you already have some of the tracks yourself? How does that work, then? If you really want to talk about the album, not doing so in the appropriated place isn't "self control", it's "pointless". As stated a billion times, it's really easy (even for someone who's been here TWO DAYS) to figure out where these discussions are, and avoid them accordingly. The violins thing was a joke, spazzy. I'm quite happy being just as grown up as I am thanks, but you might consider not throwing your rattle out of the pram whenever people don't agree with your (absurd) way of doing things.
blue circles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bored now.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Music archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: