The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

31st May: "In May" (Music By Neil)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HollyDC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: 31st May: "In May" (Music By Neil) Reply with quote

Friday 31st May: Nuffield Theatre, Lancaster.

"In May, by German writer and producer Frank Alva Buecheler, takes the form of a series of letters from a son to a father.
Each has been set to music by the renowned musician, singer and leader of the pop group The Divine Comedy, Neil Hannon, to form a contemporary music theatre piece in 24 songs.

The letters cover the last months of a man in the advanced stages of cancer, and undergoing a period of chemotherapy.
He has sent everyone in his life away his father, his lover and we are left to puzzle, as they must: for what reason?

The result is a moving and at times funny meditation in song: on life, family, fathers and sons, and the perspective that an awareness of death might bring to our sense of the beauty and fragility of the world.

Featuring Neil Hannon's trademark music, stunning digital images and live string ensemble, this is a first trial performance before further development."

Click here to book tickets.

[Unstickied]

Last edited by HollyDC on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
uncleneil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Holly,
any plans for a performance in Germany?
Can't make the date unfortunately Sad
HollyDC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncleneil wrote:
Hello Holly,
any plans for a performance in Germany?
Can't make the date unfortunately Sad

Good morning uncleneil!

Those lovely people at Live At LICA will be able to answer any questions about the production:

Live At LICA On Facebook

Live At LICA on Twitter

Holly
x
Bubbles In My Beer

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Holly can you tell me more about the 24 songs please? New?, instrumentals? Must know more Very Happy Thanks x
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HollyDC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbles In My Beer wrote:
Hi Holly can you tell me more about the 24 songs please? New?, instrumentals? Must know more Very Happy Thanks x

Hello there Bubbles In My Beer!

I'd love to be able to tell you more but all the details I have are in the top post.

As soon as I have any more info I'll update the thread Smile

Holly
x
Bubbles In My Beer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HollyDC wrote:

Hello there Bubbles In My Beer!

I'd love to be able to tell you more but all the details I have are in the top post.

As soon as I have any more info I'll update the thread Smile

Holly
x

Message from Live at Lica

"All the music and songs in the piece have been composed by Neil Hannon, setting Frank Buecheler's text to music. However, Neil is not performing or singing in the theatrical performance of In May."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HollyDC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Message from Live at Lica

"All the music and songs in the piece have been composed by Neil Hannon, setting Frank Buecheler's text to music. However, Neil is not performing or singing in the theatrical performance of In May."

Thanks for the update Bubbles In My Beer Smile

Holly
x
Greenthumb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from Lancaster. This is a reaction rather than a review because I'm not knowledgeable enough about music or theatre to take a critical stance.

Some performances are entertaining, a good way to pass an evening, some are also moving and beautiful - and some are these things and something else as well. On some rare and blessed evenings you get to see something transforming. Last night was one of those for me.

The performance last night has changed (is changing) how I think about some things in my own life - it was beautiful, it told a story, it dealt with death and the process of dieing honestly, without sentiment or easy answers. It told some truths that are rarely heard.

The words were the perfect mix of the mundane and the sublime, the performance and visuals were extraordinary and the music was wonderful, perfectly reflecting and creating the emotions of the particular sequence.

I have no idea how this piece will 'sell' in a world hooked on easy sentiment and predictable sacharine answers to the hardest questions - but it should be seen and heard widely.

Thank you to all who created it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: