The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

songs by others that make you think of Neil's music?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: songs by others that make you think of Neil's music? Reply with quote

Hello, I haven't visited this forum in years, so this has probably been discussed many, many times before...

Are there songs by Neil that remind you of some older songs by other people? Or are there (older) songs that you feel have a slightly "Hannnonish" vibe, when you hear them?

I'm reminded of "Sticks and stones" when I hear Scott Walker's "Rosemary":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Fx-Dq73Hs

Sinatra's version of "It was a very good year" always, for some reason, makes me think of Absent Friends-era Neil Hannon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG9YAHYe80I
Greenthumb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wierdly - and not 'older' so not quite on topic - the Scissor Sisters 'Intermission' feels a bit Hannonish to me. Probably just because it has sharp lyrics, playful but with a very distinct edge. However it is a little more upfront that NH might be.

Can't find it on YouTube though so no link.

Agree about Sinatra - but for me it's 'Charmed Life' that links with 'A very good year'

Interesting thread, thanks - I shall ponder further Very Happy
Margaret

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I've been to a gig of this guy - Tzvika Force..
Actually at the gig he was preforming alone with keyboards and a violin player- that definitely reminded me of TDC's music, full of drama, emotions, and quite beautiful melodies....
http://tzvikaforce.bandcamp.com/
Greenthumb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Tzvika Force Reply with quote

Hmm... reminds me more of Magnetic Fields than DC though I do see the point. Thanks for posting this - I will keep an eye out for more.
got_thelightofday_shivers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: I often dream of trains Reply with quote

Firewater's version of Robyn Hitchcock's "I often dream of trains" might come close to the Divine Comedy.
Cathy W.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be inspired by Neil Hannon's Divine Comedy music is a great thing! I know it changed my life almost eight years ago. The Divine Comedy also inspires my fellow musician, Richard Kapp from Austria. Richard's original music, arrangements and the quality of his voice sound very Hannonesque. Here is his website where you can check out some free songs:

www.richardkapp.com

As for me, I'm known musically as Keyboard Cathy, one woman from America who uses a keyboard as her primary instrument to create piano-driven, orchestral sounding TDC inspired music. This is my website:

www.keyboardcathy.com

I'm also a Divine Comedy Tribute artist, who has performed Divine Comedy tributes since 2008. Below is my latest tribute, "Through a Long and Sleepless Night," which was performed in front of a pretty large audience in Philadelphia, PA, USA last October. I use vocal effects very carefully to achieve the low range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkLuKwXAaTQ
Bubbles In My Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard this the other day and thought if Neil was around in the 60s this is what he would have sounded like:

Mel Torme - Dominique's Discoteque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lW3nlnEUmA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: