The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A personal view....
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sponge monkey



Joined: 21 Nov 2002
Posts: 1538
Location: Stubbornly refusing to use an avatar since 2000.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbles In My Beer wrote:
Quote:
Or the Tribute CD Razz ?
Tribute 2 ???

Come on you KNOW you want to Laughing Laughing

*runs*

BTW - my earliest archived posts were all to do with Trib 2. Was Trib 1 really conceived on the old Board? Blimey! Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Geordie



Joined: 21 Nov 2002
Posts: 1677
Location: The Toon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sponge monkey wrote:
the old Board? Blimey! Shocked


Jeez, cliquey or what!? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sponge monkey



Joined: 21 Nov 2002
Posts: 1538
Location: Stubbornly refusing to use an avatar since 2000.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geordie wrote:
sponge monkey wrote:
the old Board? Blimey! Shocked

Jeez, cliquey or what!? Wink

Now that definitely was an old bone of contention!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
dld



Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 38
Location: London

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That video was class guys Smile

How about a song where everyone sings / hums / twangs an instrument and they all get mashed up together? Timing is only problem, as long as we're all listening to the same song through earphones, it's doable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
drykid



Joined: 16 Dec 2003
Posts: 2217
Location: On the boundary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twentington wrote:
I don't believe it is, and you've no idea how much I've had to restrain myself from ripping into you for that comment.

Well, you know, go for it if it makes you happy. Although if the only thing you can find to get angry about is someone having the temerity to suggest that this board wasn't as friendly a place four years ago as you think it was, then may I suggest you're easily enraged.

Quote:
How can you possibly imply the threads on this board are as vibrant and varied now as they were a few years ago? This board hasn't made me laugh for ages. I guess since Facebook and Twitter came along there are more places to talk bollocks these days.

Enough with the straw men, pls. I actually agree with you that in general posts are less witty than it used to be then (partly cos you don't post as much as you used to, ironically enough.) That wasn't my point at all. I was saying that it had an unfriendly side to it back then, just as it does now. If you want to only focus on the good side back then, then that's up to you.

It was also incredibly cliquey back then, and it's less so now. So that for one is a big improvement.

Quote:
Absolute crap. The world has wankers in it. If they happen to like TDC then that is an unhappy coincidence but their intelligence is not the cause of their wankery. I would wager handsomely that you would find as much (if not more) animosity on a Jedward forum as you would on here, whoever he is.

Yeah, all forums have animosity to varying degrees, not disputing that. Just saying that there's a particular kind of arrogance that tends to cause arguments here. On a Jedward forum it's more likely to be an argument over which one is fittest; here it's more likely to be someone getting arsey about Neil not being "dark " enough these days. Because everyone knows that being miserable is the only true form of self-expression.

sponge monkey wrote:
What is apparent, if it's any consolation, is that this BB (like all others, I'd guess) tends to go: new members join - warm welcomes and some arse being a prat - people get to know each other - spats and grievances break out - people leave - new members join - warm welcomes and some arse being a prat - people get to know each other - spats and grievances break out - people leave...you get the picture.

I think there's a lot of truth in this; and maybe in 2006 things were at a slightly different point in the cycle then they are now. But when it comes to how people get on with each other, it's still the same forum that it was back then. And people pulling random threads out to show how great things were isn't gonna convince me otherwise. I might just search for some shitty ones from back then to show the otherside of the coin Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sixofone



Joined: 25 Dec 2003
Posts: 1140
Location: US

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drykid wrote:
Because everyone knows that being miserable is the only true form of self-expression.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
lucyamb



Joined: 28 Nov 2005
Posts: 4254
Location: Hove, and/or in my head...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to agree that this forum is not as friendly or funny as it was a few years ago. I would agree that this is in part due to facebook and other distractions, but also to the fact we're all older, maybe wiser, and more cynical than in the happy days of 2006. I've changed, we've all changed, it's the human condition.

Way back in 1999, when I first got onto the internet, I used to post on a very busy community, based on the books of Stephen King. It was a very busy, happy place, and I was thrilled to find it. For no particular reason, it all just drifted away. One or two regular posters drifted off, momentum was lost... it's sad, but it happens. The more we try to analyse how these communities work, the less they do.

There's still life on here, and I'm hoping we can keep some of the old spirit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
drykid



Joined: 16 Dec 2003
Posts: 2217
Location: On the boundary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucyamb wrote:
There's still life on here, and I'm hoping we can keep some of the old spirit.

Well, this is the most interesting thread I've read for a while, so that's something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lucyamb



Joined: 28 Nov 2005
Posts: 4254
Location: Hove, and/or in my head...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy it's a start
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Guitar Graham



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 165
Location: Tamworth, UK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drykid wrote:
On a Jedward forum it's more likely to be an argument over which one is fittest;


That reminds me - I need your help BB'ers - whos the fittest - Duckworth or Lewis?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drykid



Joined: 16 Dec 2003
Posts: 2217
Location: On the boundary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Graham wrote:
That reminds me - I need your help BB'ers - whos the fittest - Duckworth or Lewis?

Pffffffffffffffffft. Well one's short and the other's fat, so maybe the diplomatic answer is "neither", even if it isn't the one you're after Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twentington



Joined: 17 Mar 2008
Posts: 800

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drykid wrote:
Twentington wrote:
I don't believe it is, and you've no idea how much I've had to restrain myself from ripping into you for that comment.


Well, you know, go for it if it makes you happy. Although if the only thing you can find to get angry about is someone having the temerity to suggest that this board wasn't as friendly a place four years ago as you think it was, then may I suggest you're easily enraged.


It wouldn't make me happy which is why I didn't do it. It was the patronising tone of the

drykid wrote:
'Oh that's a bit rose tinted'


comment that riled the hell out of me, like I've since gone mad (although in fairness that did sort of happen) and I can't remember how this board used to be. I was here. I can remember. And I'm not very easy to enrage, although I seem to be getting better at it of late.

drykid wrote:
Enough with the straw men, pls.


You misinterpreted my comments in the first place. My original point was a general reminiscance about how, on the whole, the board used to be a more interesting and less niggly place, and about how much I use to enjoy the varied threads and silly banter. That is what I thought you were referring to when you said

drykid wrote:
'oh that's a bit rose tinted.'


and why I reacted the way I did, and for that I apologise, sort of.

Quote:
I think you're just hankering after some (r)utopia that never existed here and never will tbh.


If I wanted your opinion on what I'm hankering for I'd send you a catalogue of eligible vaginas.

drykid wrote:
Just saying that there's a particular kind of arrogance that tends to cause arguments here.




drykid wrote:
I might just search for some shitty ones from back then to show the otherside of the coin Razz


Of which there will undoubtedly be many. My original point was merely in agreement with everyone else, and that was that the board has lost its community spirit, which I personally miss.

Anyway, this probably isn't the right room for an argument. I have a lot of time for you Ian but patronise me again and I will chop your cock off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
drykid



Joined: 16 Dec 2003
Posts: 2217
Location: On the boundary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twentington wrote:
It was the patronising tone of the

drykid wrote:
'Oh that's a bit rose tinted'


comment that riled the hell out of me, like I've since gone mad (although in fairness that did sort of happen) and I can't remember how this board used to be. I was here. I can remember. And I'm not very easy to enrage, although I seem to be getting better at it of late.

Well it wasn't meant to be patronising in tone, just a straightforward comment that I thought your opinion was rose intented. If I'd meant it to be patronising I would probably've gone "awww diddums, is he looking though his ickle rose-tinted spectacles again?", because frankly I don't do subtlety anyway. But I'm sorry that it gave the impression that I intended to patronise.

Although it really annoys me when politicans give these kind of apologies where they they're basically not apologising for what they said, but for the fact that someone else misinterpreted their words. Which means that it's not really an apology at all in the sense of acknowledging being at fault. And yet here I am doing the exact same thing. Ho hum.

drykid wrote:
You misinterpreted my comments in the first place. My original point was a general reminiscance about how, on the whole, the board used to be a more interesting and less niggly place, and about how much I use to enjoy the varied threads and silly banter. That is what I thought you were referring to ... and why I reacted the way I did, and for that I apologise, sort of.

But you did use the word "friendly", and that was the main thing I was responding to, though it seems I didn't get that over very well. I think we were just at cross purposes to honest.

Quote:
Quote:
I think you're just hankering after some (r)utopia that never existed here and never will tbh.


If I wanted your opinion on what I'm hankering for I'd send you a catalogue of eligible vaginas.

Heh well that comment wasn't even aimed directly at you, more on those who had posted on the thread up to that point in general. But looking back at it I can see that the "you're" is probably likely to be read as meaning you specifically, so I apologise for my careless wording there. (And that's a proper apology rather than the previous sort-of-apology.) I should have said "you're all" instead.

drykid wrote:
Of which there will undoubtedly be many. My original point was merely in agreement with everyone else, and that was that the board has lost its community spirit, which I personally miss.

I still have to disagree about there being more community spirit then than now, but I think it's important to acknowledge that this kind of thing is more subjective than arguing about whether the board was funnier back then, because obviously if you're on the receiving end of abuse then you're gonna feel the place more unwelcoming than if you're just a slightly amused bystander. (Not that I'm saying you necessarily take amusement from other people's misfortune, lest I create another misunderstanding.) But what can be deeply upsetting for one person might just be "ha ha look at the internet crazies arguing" to someone else.

Quote:
Anyway, this probably isn't the right room for an argument. I have a lot of time for you Ian but patronise me again and I will chop your cock off.

It's always the right room for an argument! But get your hands off my cock, please Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mrs Fluff



Joined: 04 Sep 2004
Posts: 82
Location: behind the stacks in the library

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniff sniff... is that the smell of irony I am detecting?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guitar Graham



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 165
Location: Tamworth, UK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look everyone - Mrs Fluff has posted!! You know what that means!!!!


Its 2006 again everybody!!!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Postcard



Joined: 02 May 2006
Posts: 2598

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I'm still at Uni and I don't feel like I've thrown my life away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
drykid



Joined: 16 Dec 2003
Posts: 2217
Location: On the boundary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough the last time I felt like I had thrown my life away was while I was at uni. Although that was somewhat before 2006 (to say the least...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fantsu



Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 6004
Location: Assuming the perpendicular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasting my time in 2006 for stuff like this:



Yeah, it was the uni time...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lucyamb



Joined: 28 Nov 2005
Posts: 4254
Location: Hove, and/or in my head...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I was just starting uni too.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
yohan and hilda



Joined: 07 May 2004
Posts: 947
Location: OXFORD UK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2006 I started working in a garden centre part time, did lots of nice illustration work and generally got back to living a normal life after a period of illness in 2005. Oh yes, and I got married! It was a good year all in all, and it was 20 years since I started at art college. Yikes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Katja



Joined: 25 Nov 2002
Posts: 856
Location: Berlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that 2nd animated gif (correct terminology?) of Neil, Fantsu! Time well spent.

Ahh, 2006, a scorching summer - my first in Berlin - when Germany hosted the World Cup and so many great things happened.. I was unemployed and made a thousand things out of papier mache.. Including my avatar there to the left (a self portrait).

And that Somerset House gig, of course.

And the last Berlin gig was that year too! With Duke Special supporting. Gosh, that really was quite a good year..

Well, the BB has had its good and bad moments over the years. It's hard for me to know whether my feelings towards it have changed because it's changed, or because I've changed, or because my feelings towards the band have changed..

Rotten eggs have come and gone.. Some were amusing, some were evil..

I've defo been disappointed in the very recent past. It's made me a bit depressed to visit here lately, to be honest. People being rude to newbies is just cringey and awful..

That's life though aint it - a coupla individuals fecking things up for everyone.

I still like to visit here though, and it's nice to see some familiar faces.. There are some funny moments still. Not quite the same as when..err.. what was it.. Sponge and Born buried a body..? *clique alert*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geordie



Joined: 21 Nov 2002
Posts: 1677
Location: The Toon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the whiff of nostalgia Very Happy . I still think reading about Monkey Man, and having the inside info on a story that made international press and HIGNFY, was one of the greatest board moments. Can't remember anything on the internet that has made me cry with laughter so much.

For me the board has always ebbed and flowed, you take from it what you will. TDC threads are obviously more frequent when Neil is releasing stuff or touring, but some of the funniest content has come about when it's quiet on the TDC front. I've always liked the mix of TDC and none TDC posts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
luvly horse



Joined: 21 Nov 2002
Posts: 6209
Location: wondering what the hell she did wrong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez spong!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sponge monkey



Joined: 21 Nov 2002
Posts: 1538
Location: Stubbornly refusing to use an avatar since 2000.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katja wrote:
Sponge and Born buried a body..? *clique alert*

Blimey! I'd forgotten about that. I actually got into a teeny bit of trouble from Claire for that. Embarassed [/clique alert]

Geordie wrote:
I still think reading about Monkey Man, and having the inside info on a story that made international press and HIGNFY, was one of the greatest board moments. Can't remember anything on the internet that has made me cry with laughter so much..

Hehehe - that was excellent - interview with Chris (ccc) here for info.

luvly horse wrote:
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez spong!!!!

No. Go directly to No. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
dld



Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 38
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divine Comedy + Media mickey take + b3ta + juggling = geekasm

Let me guess, you play the Ukelele too?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sponge monkey



Joined: 21 Nov 2002
Posts: 1538
Location: Stubbornly refusing to use an avatar since 2000.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dld wrote:
Divine Comedy + Media mickey take + b3ta + juggling = geekasm

Wasn't really a b3ta thing (although Chris was a regular b3ta contributor) as it started right here - have a read of the original Monkey Man TDCBB thread. Starts on Page 2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Fantsu



Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 6004
Location: Assuming the perpendicular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh - first I've heard of it, but it's indeed a classic! It really has to be, as it's in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkeyman_superhero_hoax

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
uncleneil



Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Posts: 6525

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the days of "Re-create your Avatar" and this endless Murder-Game (what was it called again?)! I was still working for this Communication/PR-Special Interest-Magazine (the german PR Week).

Plenty of time to kill online back then, hehe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Postcard



Joined: 02 May 2006
Posts: 2598

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Murder!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fantsu



Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 6004
Location: Assuming the perpendicular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were good and fun games - definitely worth doing again sometime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
uncleneil



Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Posts: 6525

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postcard wrote:
Wink Murder!


That's the one, thanks Captain Smashing!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Das Kitty



Joined: 27 Nov 2002
Posts: 3806
Location: Galway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncleneil wrote:
Postcard wrote:
Wink Murder!


That's the one, thanks Captain Smashing!


Onks! Have you got a crush? Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
uncleneil



Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Posts: 6525

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope (sorry Postcard), but Hannon told Postcard in Paris that he looked "Smashing" Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Postcard



Joined: 02 May 2006
Posts: 2598

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, he did. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jennifer



Joined: 21 Nov 2002
Posts: 4969
Location: Greenock, Scotland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncleneil wrote:
Oh the days of "Re-create your Avatar"
Plenty of time to kill online back then, hehe


Well that ones easy enouth to resurrect

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
got_thelightofday_shivers



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 51
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Berlin :) Reply with quote

Katja wrote:
I remember that 2nd animated gif (correct terminology?) of Neil, Fantsu! Time well spent.

Ahh, 2006, a scorching summer - my first in Berlin - when Germany hosted the World Cup and so many great things happened.. I was unemployed and made a thousand things out of papier mache.. Including my avatar there to the left (a self portrait).

And that Somerset House gig, of course.

And the last Berlin gig was that year too! With Duke Special supporting. Gosh, that really was quite a good year..

Well, the BB has had its good and bad moments over the years. It's hard for me to know whether my feelings towards it have changed because it's changed, or because I've changed, or because my feelings towards the band have changed..

Rotten eggs have come and gone.. Some were amusing, some were evil..

I've defo been disappointed in the very recent past. It's made me a bit depressed to visit here lately, to be honest. People being rude to newbies is just cringey and awful..

That's life though aint it - a coupla individuals fecking things up for everyone.

I still like to visit here though, and it's nice to see some familiar faces.. There are some funny moments still. Not quite the same as when..err.. what was it.. Sponge and Born buried a body..? *clique alert*


BERLIN! Fave Berlin anecdotes? I lived in Berlin in 1999. 10 Jahre ohne Mauer- was very subdued! What a beautiful place, wish I was back there...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group