The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A personal view....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yohan and hilda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: A personal view.... Reply with quote

I haven't been on this board for a while, I really used to enjoy it, but what the hell is going on? So many threads I read have some sort of dischord or downright antagonism in them. It puts me off. I do enjoy reading a spat every now and then, but this is just techy stuff and alot of nit picking and self justification that is just boring to read. That's it, all I wanted to say.
Phil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad you posted this, because I actually considered posting the exact same thread myself this morning.

You couldn't read a single thread without someone acting like an utter tw@t on there. Please SORT IT OUT.

You all should be helping grow a community around Neil's music, instead you're just turning people away because of your absolutely awful attitudes.

I'm not angry with you all, I'm just disappointed.
uncleneil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A personal view.... Reply with quote

yohan and hilda wrote:
alot of nit picking and self justification that is just boring to read. That's it, all I wanted to say.

Yes Yes

True.
sixofone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Perhaps this negative attitude which is pervading the forum might explain why the forum is almost dead. I remember there being far more activity on the forum when Victory for the Comic Muse was released.
yohan and hilda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there are more people that feel the same way, and I am sure there are people like me who are put off coming back on here more often.

I can't think that Neil would be very happy reading some of the posts on here, they certainly aren't in the spirit of his music which is so much better natured and big spirited than all of the negative stuff that has been going on, and let's not forget why we are on this board: because his music has touched us enough to make us interested in discussing it with other people and finding out what we have in common and what other things we might like too. We won't agree with everyone or have something in common with everyone but you find the things you like and enjoy and let the rest float by.

The things I enjoy are the discussions about the music and lyrics and references, for example I found it really interesting that the song Neapolitan Girl was based on the book Naples'44 by Norman Lewis. What I don't enjoy is hearing people arguing the toss about whether something is good or not and things getting way too personal.

I've written way more than I meant to so I'm off now. Flower
yohan and hilda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, here i am again, just wanted to say hello to the good folk who have replied, nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks this, and finally some words of Neil's I am using here to illustrate more lofty sentiments:

'Rise up little souls - join the doomed army
Fight the good fight - wage the unwinnable war
Elegance against ignorance
Difference against indifference
Wit against s**t'

We shouldn't be fighting that sort of battle on this forum, I really care about this, it matters.
Postcard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on this. There's something of a cloud over this forum. Not the place it was when I joined.
MissDreamy

Location: Bernard Towers, The Castle of Bernard, Bernard Road, Bernardland.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I agree too. I used to love the little community on here. Now I hardly post anymore Sad I have made some very close friends through this board, and keep in touch through Facebook/Twitter, etc, but I do miss the old camaraderie.
Das Kitty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly. We should have had loads of new members with the new album and loads of people returning too. People have always come and gone here but there seems to be more folks leaving than arriving. I do miss coming on here and having a sense of camaraderie.
daniellerix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

this made me giggle. Smile

but yes. i just come here now to check for updates, as my computer can't cope with the official site. if there is something being discussed that i have something to say about, i start a reply, and then spend most of my time deleting what i've just typed because i don't want to get internet abuse for it, and end up not saying anything at all.
Mr Nude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the forum has a fairly unwelcoming air these days, which is a shame. I can't imagine hanging around for long if I was a new member wanting to share my enthusiasm for Neil's music.
Fantsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. I'd like to think that it's going to change.

Last edited by Fantsu on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guitar Graham

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissDreamy wrote:
Yep, I agree too. I used to love the little community on here. Now I hardly post anymore Sad I have made some very close friends through this board, and keep in touch through Facebook/Twitter, etc, but I do miss the old camaraderie.
Yes Yes
Guitar Graham

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yohan and hilda wrote:

I can't think that Neil would be very happy reading some of the posts on here

I dont believe he gives a monkeys what is said/done on here to be honest
Bad Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniellerix wrote:
Phil wrote:

but yes. i just come here now to check for updates, as my computer can't cope with the official site. if there is something being discussed that i have something to say about, i start a reply, and then spend most of my time deleting what i've just typed because i don't want to get internet abuse for it, and end up not saying anything at all.

I do this too. I've just deleted some guff in this post. I have enjoyed the majority of the chat BGTK has brought though.
lucyamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll own up to getting into some of the discussions, meaning to be positive, and watching it all go too far. I'm really sad that every discussion seemed to go too far, and hope I didn't make it worse, but fear I have.

I offer my sincere apologies to anyone and everyone that I have offended. I just wanted to join in the chat, but...

I miss the good times on here, the fun and frivolity, and hope that everyone is enjoying the new music and gigs... I loved Somerset House.
HollyDC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

The board is what we make it so let's get the welcome banners out and treat new posters with the respect they deserve Smile

Constructive criticism is fine, but stepping over the line into personal insult is not.

The person who has caused a lot of bad feelings (including abusive postings) has been banned.

Bring out the positivity and let's see what happens Smile

Holly
x
uncleneil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Ambassador wrote:
daniellerix wrote:
Phil wrote:

I do this too.

me too!
Das Kitty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Graham wrote:
yohan and hilda wrote:

I can't think that Neil would be very happy reading some of the posts on here

I dont believe he gives a monkeys what is said/done on here to be honest

I don't think that's true really, I mean everything is out of his own pocket these days including hosting and employing people who have to moderate as part of their jobs. If he really didn't give a monkeys I'd say he'd shut it down.
drykid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think either of those opinions are necessarily mutually exclusive; it's possible he continues to pay for the site because he thinks it's a necessary part of mainintaining an online presence (which it is), but that doesn't mean he takes any personal interest in what people or do or how they behave. I imagine he sees it as part of the whole marketing thing and nothing more. Which would be understandable.

The only reason some of you seem to care so much about this forum is because you post here regularly, and it makes you feel part of a community as a result. He doesn't post here, so you can't expect him to see it the same way.
yohan and hilda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was imagining what Neil might think rather than thinking that he might actually read what was on here. I don't really think it matters if he does or not, he is an adult and I am sure he is mentally robust enough tof survive if he read it!
drykid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I take your point, but "what would Neil think if he read this?" is purely hypothetical, and therefore not any more important / relevant than, say, "What would Neil think if we were all abducted by aliens" or any other hypothesis.

The point is that he doesn't read it, so I don't really see the importance of what he would think if he did.
Das Kitty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drykid wrote:
I don't think either of those opinions are necessarily mutually exclusive; it's possible he continues to pay for the site because he thinks it's a necessary part of mainintaining an online presence (which it is), but that doesn't mean he takes any personal interest in what people or do or how they behave. I imagine he sees it as part of the whole marketing thing and nothing more. Which would be understandable.

The only reason some of you seem to care so much about this forum is because you post here regularly, and it makes you feel part of a community as a result. He doesn't post here, so you can't expect him to see it the same way.
I do agree with this, but I think it's to his benefit for the forum to he welcoming for it to be working as a promotional tool, so in that sense I do think he cares what is said. I doubt he cares too much whether we like or dislike cats, argue about his religious leanings, procreate etc though!
yohan and hilda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bored of this thread now.
airboy paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, can we have an unban request to liven up this thread/board please.
thanking you in advance!
drykid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure who is banned; I thought Holly meant bloo, but I can still click on his profile, so I guess she's referring to events longer ago *intentionally vague*

How do you actually know if someone is banned anyway? They must appear on-screen differently. Does it say "banned" underneath their name like on some forums?
Lologee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same I'm afraid. I only come back to catch up on news etc. I can't be bothered to have to skim over petty arguments and the posts of those who just come here to be mean because they think it's funny.

I still do come back though. I'd be gutted if the forum disappeared completely!
Twentington

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree. This board is not the amazingly welcoming happy place it was. I wish it was 2006 for (many) many reasons but mainly because this was a fantastic community of friendly people sharing a common love of the Hannon. I don't want to see this forum die, as I've had some life-changing experiences as a result of it and it was all amazingly fun.

I would like to propose a notion that we kick this board back into life again.
drykid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twentington wrote:
Completely agree. This board is not the amazingly welcoming happy place it was. I wish it was 2006 for (many) many reasons but mainly because this was a fantastic community of friendly people sharing a common love of the Hannon.

Oh that's a bit rose-tinted; there's always been elements bitching at other elements since I've been here (hopefully coincidentally.) All that changes over time are the people involved in the bitching and the exact causes. But the disharmony is a constant.

I think you're just hankering after some (r)utopia that never existed here and never will tbh. Personally I think Neil's music / lyrics attracts snobs who think they're superior to the great unwashed, and if you put too many people who think they're more intelligent than everyone else together in the same (online) place then the results are bound to be fractious.
yohan and hilda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have a point there Drykid about the snobbishness, but could you try and be a little bit more positive, it's a bit depressing to hear it all laid out in such a way! I also think there will always be a bit of bitching and a little is OK but it just seems alot more evident at the moment and the balance has been tipped too far.
drykid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm not trying to be unduly ngative. I'm certainly not saying people shouldn't strive to be nicer / respect their fellow board members / plant more trees etc. Just acknowledging the basic futility of such an endeavour Razz

As to whether it's worse or not at the moment, then maybe it is a bit. But then if you've got forum members (literally) asking to be banned then that's to be expected.
yohan and hilda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is kind of what I think a lot of the time with all sorts of experiences of human nature but I try and focus on the good things and hope it will go away, even though it probably never really will. I think maybe I am more of an optimist than you Drykid! Maybe things will settle down a bit and get better now, let's hope so. I Love You
Guitar Graham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twentington wrote:
I wish it was 2006 for (many) many reasons

*sends Twentington a pineapple to remind him of happier times
Twentington

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drykid wrote:
Oh that's a bit rose-tinted;

I don't believe it is, and you've no idea how much I've had to restrain myself from ripping into you for that comment. My comments were based on the board as a whole, not solely on the current level of anamosity. How can you possibly imply the threads on this board are as vibrant and varied now as they were a few years ago? This board hasn't made me laugh for ages. I guess since Facebook and Twitter came along there are more places to talk bollocks these days.

There has always been the odd twat on here but on the whole the good vibes vastly outweighed the bad which were therefore ignorable.

drykid wrote:
Personally I think Neil's music / lyrics attracts snobs who think they're superior to the great unwashed, and if you put too many people who think they're more intelligent than everyone else together in the same (online) place then the results are bound to be fractious.

Absolute crap. The world has wankers in it. If they happen to like TDC then that is an unhappy coincidence but their intelligence is not the cause of their wankery. I would wager handsomely that you would find as much (if not more) animosity on a Jedward forum as you would on here, whoever he is.

Guitar Graham wrote:
*sends Twentington a pineapple to remind him of happier times

Thank you, much appreciated. I'm shedding a tear as we speak.
Guitar Graham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Mr Twent on the 2006/7 thing

can you imagine trying to do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSQw3JWr3Kg&feature=related

or this

nowadays
uncleneil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twentington wrote:
Completely agree. This board is not the amazingly welcoming happy place it was. I wish it was 2006 for (many) many reasons but mainly because this was a fantastic community of friendly people sharing a common love of the Hannon. I don't want to see this forum die, as I've had some life-changing experiences as a result of it and it was all amazingly fun.

I would like to propose a notion that we kick this board back into life again.

agreed. Would you like to me my personal Spin Doctor?
daniellerix

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school/2007. i wish i could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy...
sponge monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Graham wrote:
I am with Mr Twent on the 2006/7 thing

can you imagine trying to do this

or this

nowadays

Or the Tribute CD Razz ? Well yes, of course I can imagine stuff like that happening again - just look at the (almost) annual Advent Calendar stuff. Always excellent work.

If you think the BB's bad now, I can tell you it's nowhere near as fractious or divisive as it was around 10-12 years ago when I first joined (actually, might have been a bit longer than that) but there aren't many of us left from then who still post these days.

What is apparent, if it's any consolation, is that this BB (like all others, I'd guess) tends to go: new members join - warm welcomes and some arse being a prat - people get to know each other - spats and grievances break out - people leave - new members join - warm welcomes and some arse being a prat - people get to know each other - spats and grievances break out - people leave...you get the picture.

And if the bickering about Bang... has got anyone down, consider yourself lucky you weren't around when Regeneration came out! Wink Wink
Postcard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to look at the archive for a bit, and compare.
Bubbles In My Beer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Or the Tribute CD Razz ?

Tribute 2 ???

Come on you KNOW you want to Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: