The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surrounded by Sound
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> General archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The hero's only chance

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny J wrote:
Is We Don't Have That Kind of Bread on their MySpace? That's a particular favourite right now.

It is. My copy should arrive today/tomorrow with a bit of luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rusty66

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postcard

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely get that excited by something to tell you about it for humanitarian reasons. But you will be cheating yourself out of a life experience by not getting this record. I'm probably behind everyone else, I'd only heard one track off this in 2006, picked it up, and realised how much more it is. The track was "Tea Merchants" for those who have it, it was on a mix. Not a record to dissect like that. Must be listened to as a whole.
Gaz J

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz J

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely, lovely gatefold double vinyl job. The free download won't work yet though - presumably have to wait until official release date.
uncleneil

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*salivates* Vinyl????? ARGH Must.have.that.
rusty66

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually not such a bad album after all. I was afraid to listen to it at first, due to lukewarm reviews on here. I found it even more immediate than his first album and 'You're In My Eyes' is a superb song. So yeah, I like.

Now:

Au revoir, joie...

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find it more 'immediate' than his first - that's a good way to describe it. But I like Jarvis so much that I just want all his work to knock my socks off, or something.
daniellerix

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to listen to anything other than Bowie and TDC at the moment. I think it's a condition.
Hev_p

Location: Atop Stevenson's Rocket, flicking the Vs at Hackworth's Sans Pareil, circa 1829.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suffering from Bat for Lashes burn out, so obviously I've chosen some nice bland stuff to wind down:

Going Downhill Fast

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncleneil

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusty66 wrote:
That's actually not such a bad album after all. I was afraid to listen to it at first, due to lukewarm reviews on here.

well, i said: 7 out of 10, that is not too bad, is it? Very Happy I like it and i'm listening to it rather often. It has it's great Cocker moments, but i do miss the gasp, choke, argh-effect, if you know what i mean.
Gaz J

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusty66 wrote:
That's actually not such a bad album after all. I was afraid to listen to it at first, due to lukewarm reviews on here. I found it even more immediate than his first album and 'You're In My Eyes' is a superb song. So yeah, I like.

Now:

I actually really liked the Jarvis album on first listen, much more than I did the debut solo record after its initial plays.
As for the Tindersticks record, that really is a great album.
Benny J

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz J wrote:

Oh! A new Malcolm Middleton? I shall have to have a nosey.

After last weeks' stereo destruction I got a few separates today which seem to do the job perfectly fine. I treated myself to a new turntable to replace my doddery old Bush one and am frankly astounded at the difference in quality. Currently listening to my original vinyl version of:

And have just ordered Franz Ferdinand's debut on similar format, seeing as I don't own a proper, legal copy.
pip

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking forward to the new Manic Street Preachers album but completely forgot to pre-order it Embarassed

So I ordered the autographed special edition on the Thursday and it arrived by Saturday! Shocked Very Happy

The Holy Bible is amazing and I was hoping that with Richey's lyrics we'd be hearing the Manics on top form... On first two listens it seems to be lacking something... Maybe I was looking forward to hearing it too much? Or was hoping for a 'sequel' to The Holy Bible. Hmmm...

Stand out song so far is the title track Journal For Plague Lovers.
I'm hoping that on more listens it will grow on me...

The packaging is great though Yes Yes and I must listen to the second disc later with the demos.

I hope that repeated listens will bring out more of the hidden depths of the songs.

Anyone else heard it? I think it was released today?
pip

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz J wrote:
rusty66 wrote:
Now:

... As for the Tindersticks record, that really is a great album.

Just want to join in with the Tindersticks love Yes Yes

Haven't heard Further Complications yet Embarassed
Gaz J

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pip wrote:

I've been looking forward to the new Manic Street Preachers album but completely forgot to pre-order it Embarassed

So I ordered the autographed special edition on the Thursday and it arrived by Saturday! Shocked Very Happy

The Holy Bible is amazing and I was hoping that with Richey's lyrics we'd be hearing the Manics on top form... On first two listens it seems to be lacking something... Maybe I was looking forward to hearing it too much? Or was hoping for a 'sequel' to The Holy Bible. Hmmm...

Stand out song so far is the title track Journal For Plague Lovers.
I'm hoping that on more listens it will grow on me...

The packaging is great though Yes Yes and I must listen to the second disc later with the demos.

I hope that repeated listens will bring out more of the hidden depths of the songs.

Anyone else heard it? I think it was released today?

Yup! I love it. The special edition arrived Saturday, along with the vinyl (I know, I know...) and the book alone is a great item to have. Musically, I think the parallels with some of the Bible stuff are definitely there, but it still has some of the polish of Send Away The Tigers. The demos disc is quite something and certainly commands the attention.
I keep finding 'William's Last Words' quite affecting. Even if it wasn't autobiographical, it's hard to hear it any other way. A wonderful album, although apparently that artwork is too naughty for supermarkets.

If you happen to want a few of the bonus tracks from the digital and Japanese releases, let me know.
pip

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz J wrote:
I keep finding 'William's Last Words' quite affecting. Even if it wasn't autobiographical, it's hard to hear it any other way.

Yes Williams Last Words is such a powerful song. I welled up when I heard that (I thought I'd put that in my original post but I must've missed it when I copied and pasted Embarassed)

You're right about the autobiographical feeling...

Gaz J wrote:
A wonderful album, although apparently that artwork is too naughty for supermarkets.

**rolls eyes at the supermarkets**

The supermarkets think it's frightening to their customers as the cover seems to depict a child with blood on its face...
Apparently Jenny Saville was working on a photograph which showed a young girl with a birthmark on her face- it's rumoured that this is the Manics cover.

Either way I agree with James Dean Bradfield:

Quote:
"You can have lovely shiny buttocks and guns everywhere in the supermarket on covers of magazines and CDs, but you show a piece of art and people just freak out," Bradfield said. "We're not going to censor it or anything ... It is what it is."

Guardian article

I'll be giving the album another listen later when the house is a bit quieter!

**pm coming your way!**
uncleneil

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz J wrote:

Lovely, lovely gatefold double vinyl job. The free download won't work yet though - presumably have to wait until official release date.

Thanks for pointing it out, Holger managed to grab a copy for me yesterday. Lovely indeed Very Happy
Gaz J

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got dragged into town. Mooched around and wandered into HMV to pass time. Next thing I know, I've got 6 more CDs for the collection.
Had forgotten this was out:
The hero's only chance

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear it's pretty good, but i've not got round to buying it yet. Let me know if it is worth it. I enjoyed his sections on the Sparklehorse/Dangermouse album.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Benny J

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't break my heart I'll do it myself.
Going Downhill Fast

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncleneil

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucyamb

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncleneil wrote:

Oh yes, on repeat. Love it. Very Happy
Gaz J

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a trip to a moderately splendid record fair, I am now enjoying the innocent charms of this splendid little album. Schmaltzy, smooth and more than a little Bacharachy. Lovely stuff.
Benny J

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some searching about God Help The Girl - as well as the crazy subscription thinger on the official website, the album appears to be going to be released in three flavours: LP, CD and 'deluxe cd'. I've been having troubles tracking down exactly what constitutes deluxe in this instance - I'd been burnt by Neon Bible - and all I can see is a listing on Recordstore.co.uk listing it as 'limited hardback book edition limited to 5000 worldwide', which sounds nice enough.

Anyway, the limited edition version has been put onto hmv.com for 8.99 which will inevitably be changed before too long. Might be worth preordering.
PolkaDot

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out.

I just pre-ordered it.

Very Happy
Billy Bob Hannon

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz J wrote:

After a trip to a moderately splendid record fair, I am now enjoying the innocent charms of this splendid little album. Schmaltzy, smooth and more than a little Bacharachy. Lovely stuff.

This album was my introduction to Free Design. Found for a buck at a used book store, regardless, the record is priceless. Songs like Bubbles and Kije's Ouija will make your jaw drop in disbelief. It's so uncool, yet so cool.
airboy paul

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw DM Stith at the Crawdaddy in Dublin on Saturday (lovely little venue), and it was a stunning gig. As I had only bought the album on emusic, and it is quite definitely one of my favourites from the year, I decided to do a Gaz J and buy the vinyl copy also. Lovely big double vinyl thingum with a nice little booklet it in also. Sufjan did good in finding this chappy.

Other new cds that I have received upon my return and I am now digesting are:

Finally got this album, after months of waiting. Nice packaging also, which is always a good thing. Hoping that this will become a firm favourite of mine.

Ooh, their follow-up album. It sounds strange hearing new songs from them. Definitely feels like an album that will need a fair few listens!

Not listened to this one yet, but it will be next once My Latest Novel has ended. Lovely little band- have enjoyed their past two albums they've released over the last year and a bit, so looking forward to this one too.
Dagada Dagada

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frequency by IQ.

My pre-order finally arrived, and it's flipping marvelous. Classic prog with wonderful arrangements, performed with real passion and emotion.
The hero's only chance

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airboy paul wrote:

Finally got this album, after months of waiting. Nice packaging also, which is always a good thing. Hoping that this will become a firm favourite of mine.

I already have a promo copy, and am loathe to re-purchase. How nice is the packaging, exactly?
airboy paul

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely the promo couldn't have cost much!

It's just a nice digi-pack packaging that folds out into four, and has some paper card inserts of four different drawn creatures which you can cut-out/stick to a little place-holder thingum, and 'Then arrage your digi-pack landscape whichever way pleases you most - maybe into a zig-zaggy concertina shape, or into a hollow cube. Then arrange the characters in front of the landscape and put it somewhere prominent for your eyes to behold!' apparently. It just makes a nice change from standard boring cd cases (I get disappointed when they arrive through the post now). Although I obviously won't be cutting up by creatures/assembling anything, gosh no. Must leave as originally presented.
The hero's only chance

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airboy paul wrote:
surely the promo couldn't have cost much!

It's just a nice digi-pack packaging that folds out into four, and has some paper card inserts of four different drawn creatures which you can cut-out/stick to a little place-holder thingum, and 'Then arrage your digi-pack landscape whichever way pleases you most - maybe into a zig-zaggy concertina shape, or into a hollow cube. Then arrange the characters in front of the landscape and put it somewhere prominent for your eyes to behold!' apparently. It just makes a nice change from standard boring cd cases (I get disappointed when they arrive through the post now). Although I obviously won't be cutting up by creatures/assembling anything, gosh no. Must leave as originally presented.

Which is exactly what I'll do. I'll have to buy it now, as I love original packaging. There's no imagination in plastic shells.
lucyamb

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucyamb wrote:
uncleneil wrote:

Oh yes, on repeat. Love it. Very Happy

Still on repeat. Still love it. Oh yes.
Gaz J

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hero's only chance wrote:
I hear it's pretty good, but i've not got round to buying it yet. Let me know if it is worth it. I enjoyed his sections on the Sparklehorse/Dangermouse album.

The Jason Lytle's a lovely little record. Hardly world-beating but a very well crafted collection of songs.

This seems pretty splendid on first listen:
airboy paul

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't splashed out on Jason Lytle's album, as I wasn't fussed with the last Grandaddy album, and the listen I had on his myspace didn't wow me.

I'm more tempted by the Grizzly Bear album, after enjoying the Department Of Eagles album last year. But after buying Yellow House earlier this year, it didn't seem as good as DoE.

Would like both to be available on emusic, as I'd happily buy them that way. But not tempted to buy cds of either yet.
Benny J

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE the strings on Royksopp Forever.
Billy Bob Hannon

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: that basketball was like a basketball to me Reply with quote

Just learned that besides the stunning vocal by Tyrone Shoelaces, Basketball Jones features George Harrison, Carole King, Billy Preston, Tom Scott, plus Darlene Love and Michelle Phillips from the The Mamas & The Papas.

It's pretty dang intense for a comedy record . . . definitely earned it's place in the Being There soundtrack
Going Downhill Fast

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every night on sep'rate stars, before we go to sleep, we pray so breathlessly.
Baby, please... don't take my hope away from me.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> General archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: