The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where does BGTK fall in the great DC list??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemoncurry?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Nude wrote:
Where are we now, six months from Bang's release? Enough time for the launch hype to have worn off, and I still love it - I'd definitely put it in the Top 5. Such a joyous, playful and jaunty body of songs.

I still love it, too, Mr Nude. It holds up well - especially after having seen Neil performing much of the album live this autumn. I give you - THE LIST:

1. A short album about love
2. Promenade

... and, er, the rest... I can't decide. But Fin is definitely last. Bang is probably somewhere in the middle. And Regeneration is surprisingly HIGH up there...

THE LIST.

This was a presentation of...

THE LIST.

G'night.
Bad Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemoncurry? wrote:

But Fin is definitely last.

Shocked WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?
I'mNotThePope

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been here since BGTK, and know this isn't a thread just about it, but I do want to write about the album, so I crave your indulgence (read: can't be bothered to dig out an appropriate thread).

I love the first track, musically and lyrically ("My armchair's round and my glass is square" is a favourite). However, I cannot begin to describe how poor I think the rest of the album is. I'm utterly disappointed, after such a long wait. It's as though NH has started to believe the lay view of him. "Whimsy. That's what I do. Better do a whimsical album. Oh, and let's make it arch, too. I'm arch"

The one other song which has some bite lyrically is Neapolitan Girl, but the music is a hooting stinkeroo. The violent line in The Complete Banker is a great moment, but otherwise the song is a tad obvious.

Some of the songs are so anodyne as to make me angry that NH has added them (Have You Ever, Can You Stand Upon One Leg, Island Life - Island Life, what's that all about?). Never put a children's track on a non-children's album - I'm sure my 20-month old daughter will come to enjoy NH holding a long note, but I expect her to grow out of it. As have I.

It's just so disappointing. Those songs which have a little spark of DC wit are pale imitations of previous tracks (Indie Disco, Lost Art of Conversation, Assume the Perpendicular).

I do enjoy the title track, though. Again, appealing tune, very interestingly arranged (other than the bizarre middle eight), and great lyrics - just a great idea for a song. When A Man Cries would be splendid if it weren't for its disastrous meander into a major key with cheese-drums during the middle eight.

There are no doubt other tracks on which I have not commented, and perhaps some of them have something to recommend them. I've stopped listening to it, though. Definitely bottom of my list (though I've never heard Fanfare).

It's well boo

Tom
DannyS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much my view on it and I've liked pretty much everything, even Fanfare/Europop (which no one seems to like) there has never been a track that I've thought was bad.
When I saw the Indie Disco video on Youtube before the album had been released I was a bit shocked. Maybe it was just that I was expecting something too great but it fell really short of what I thought it was going to be. Out of the whole thing I like these three tracks.
Down In The Street Bellow is a great opener and it sets the tone for what the album should have been.
Bang Goes The Knighthood is a good track, the middle bit I don't mind, I think works although it kind of reminds me of the bit in Pursuit Of Happiness where there's a bit of misplaced poetry just thrown on at the end.
I Like I hated at first and it was only the funny music video that changed my mind. Maybe if Mr Hannon had filmed himself running around on a beach with an inflatable doll and put it to all of the tracks, it would've been a better album.
I know sometimes it takes longer to get into some albums, Fin De Siecle and Regeneration were the two that really took me some time to like. But I've had this thing for months now and it doesn't get better, not for me anyway.
Solarama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that the album is as bad as you say, but do agree it is nowhere near being one of Neil's best. I barely listen to all but 4 of the songs now.

Down In The Street Below is comfortably the standout track and would sit up there with his best-ever songs.

The Lost Art of Conversation and I Like both make me indescribably happy.

And I find When A Man Cries hugely moving.

Complete Banker, Neapolitan Girl and Bang Goes The Knighthood are songs I wouldn't skip, but the remainder of the album ... well, it contains the highest quota of dross that Neil has ever produced.

The collection of songs seems a bit esoteric, almost as if there is no theme or motif in them. Other albums have been a lot more coherent.

Still love the man though
Mr Nude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's still one of my favourites, nearly a year on, my opinion hasn't changed since my last post. I think Down in the Street Below, Neapolitan Girl, Assume the Perpendicular and Lost Art of Conversation are as good as anything he's ever written. They're glorious, both musically and lyrically. And I think the rest of the album holds up, too, and works more coherently as an album than Victory did.

I really enjoy the return to the more playful side of his songwriting. He sounds "freed-up" as a result of splitting from Parlophone.
Solarama

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Nude wrote:
Well, it's still one of my favourites, nearly a year on, my opinion hasn't changed since my last post. I think Down in the Street Below, Neapolitan Girl, Assume the Perpendicular and Lost Art of Conversation are as good as anything he's ever written. They're glorious, both musically and lyrically. And I think the rest of the album holds up, too, and works more coherently as an album than Victory did.

I really enjoy the return to the more playful side of his songwriting. He sounds "freed-up" as a result of splitting from Parlophone.

I forgot Assume the Perpendicular, excellent track too.

But At The Indie Disco, Have You Ever Been In Love, Island Life and Can You Stand Upon One Leg? are all well below-average.
thetoot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyS wrote:
...even Fanfare/Europop (which no one seems to like) ...

I like Europop.

I don't know about putting the albums in order, but certainly, after a long, long time following TDC, i would say Promenade and Liberation are the best two albums, with A Short Album not far behind.

BGTK is somewhere around Casanova for me, but it does sound a LOT less produced than the 'golden' period albums of the late nineties and I do miss that grand sound.
Who?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was massively disappointed with BGTK.. The Duckworth Lewis Method is a far superior album - utterly charming and a marvelous soundtrack to a hot summer. It sounds like more effort was put into DLM than BGTK to me.

Neil's vocals on BGTK are mostly wrong... he sings too high and it doesn't work. Listen to A Short Album about Love, then BGTK and tell me which vocal you prefer! He has an AMAZING voice when in the zone.

I think for me it would be:

Fin de Siecle
A Short Album About Love
(Duckworth Lewis Method)
Casanova
Liberation
Promenade
Regeneration
Absent Friends
Victory for the Comic Muse
Bang Goes the Knighthood
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: