The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBC Ceefax P.568 'Music Scene' 9th October 2002.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> TV / Radio / Press archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC mod1
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: BBC Ceefax P.568 'Music Scene' 9th October 2002. Reply with quote

Ben Folds and The Divine Comedy @ Shepherds Bush Empire
(originally posted on old BB by dcgirl)

Ben Folds may have been the opener, but you can't call him a support act. Although seeing him take to the stage with just his piano may have lead the uninitiated to expect something less. But from the stonking opening of 'One Angry Dwarf' to the doleful 'Not The Same', Ben played a seamless set. And he didn't just draw on his impressive back catalogue - he even threw in a dinner jazz version of 'Champagne Supernova' - superb.

With a powerful instrumental version of 'Here Comes The Flood', Divine Comedy literally claimed the stage. And the classy performance put to bed any uncertainty about Neil Hannon's future after the original band broke up. Airing only a couple of new tunes, the band wooed the crowd with a singalong set of old favourites. But Neil didn’t just rely on his velvet vocals - a neat turn on the ivories showed his musical skills to perfection. Before the gig it may have been hard to conceive how the two unlikely acts came together for such a great night. But ultimately they're just two great artists whose eclecticism and song writing ability supersedes genre.

And it wasn't two separate acts on show in the Empire. Neil popped up, guitar in hand, to help Ben out on his song 'Mess'. And later, Mr Folds made a great effort on the drums when he joined The Divine Comedy. The pair certainly saved the best until last with a tumultuous encore.

If there were aisles, big softie that I am, I'd have been dancing in them for 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head'. And the faithful cover of The Flaming Lips' 'Run for the Prize'(sic) was awesome.

Just one gripe though, was it me or was it Land of the Giants in there? But no matter what the view, the music more than made up for any shortcomings

(From thesuburbs.org. Thanks to James H who posted it there originally)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> TV / Radio / Press archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: