The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Byrne on TDC...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> TV / Radio / Press archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nieva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: David Byrne on TDC... Reply with quote

I was browsing an old Details mag (Aug '97 ish, with John Cusack on the cover), when I stumbled on a short comment by David Byrne:

THE PERFECT POP MUSIC

"The first thing that comes to mind is Hot Chocolate's 'You Sexy Thing' and George McCrae's 'Rock Your Baby'. I used to wish I could sound like that. I just heard a guy who calls himself The Divine Comedy. His real name is Neil Hannon. His new single is 'Everybody Knows (Except You)'. It's the perfect pop single."

Anyway, who is David Byrne? All I know is that he was from The Talking Heads, but I haven't heard any song of his. (or if I have heard one, I could vaguely recall it.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cjmacs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: David Byrne on TDC... Reply with quote

Nieva wrote:

Anyway, who is David Byrne?

HERE'S a place to start...

byrne is one of the most influential musicians/artists/performers of the past two or three decades.

"i'm painting! i'm painting again!"*

*200 points for the bber that knows where that quote is from
Universal*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: David Byrne on TDC... Reply with quote

cjmacs wrote:
"i'm painting! i'm painting again!"*
*200 points for the bber that knows where that quote is from

*accepts points*

Artists Only
I'm painting, I'm painting again.
I'm painting, I'm painting again.
I'm cleaning, I'm cleaning again.
I'm cleaning, I'm cleaning my brain.

Rufus did quite some talking about David during that speech the other night. Admirers of each others work.
cjmacs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poo! in 26 minutes damn it!! (i should have KNOWN that someone OLD like ME would get it!) Confused
drykid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjmacs wrote:
poo! in 26 minutes damn it!!

It's good to be regular.
flossie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take that as one huge compliment if I were NH. I can't believe Nieva hasn't heard of him, she must be very young!

If there is one thing to do it is to get More Songs About Buildings and Food by Talking Heads (and thus David Byrne) it has Artists Only on it too so you know what has been talked about in this thread. That album really reminds me of Franz Ferdinand too, who have also been linked stlyistically to DC on this forum. That it is all great music is the other link of course.
Brian Shelf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flossie wrote:
That album really reminds me of Franz Ferdinand too, who have also been linked stlyistically to DC on this forum. That it is all great music is the other link of course.

I've always thought FF were a bit like mid-period Talking Heads, especially when they play live.

It's that really up-tight white funk feel.

I would also recomend the DVD of Stop Making Sense as it not only showcases some of their finest work and captures a real energy that's sometimes missing in their album work - but it's the template from which all live films should be made - no flashy swooping hot-head crane cams, but honest upfront documentary style filming.
pip

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: David Byrne on TDC... Reply with quote

Nieva wrote:

"...His new single is 'Everybody Knows (Except You)'. It's the perfect pop single."

Thanks for posting that!

I love Talking Heads, so it's nice to know that David Byrne paid Neil a big compliment.
What makes it so good is that it's from one great musician to another. Very Happy
Born Yesterday

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: But when they come visit, I put down what I'm doing... Reply with quote

I was just thinking today that David Byrne is one of my biggest heroes (listening to The Great Intoxication on some compilation cd).

I've got a signed photograph in my room and almost everyone who saw it asked: 'Who the hell is David Byrne?' Sad
Reetpetite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="flossie"]I'd take that as one huge compliment if I were NH. I can't believe Nieva hasn't heard of him, she must be very young!
quote]

If you are young, Nieva, you might know the X-press 2 song from a couple of years back - Lazy? That was David Byrne singing on there, and I guess the Talking Heads best known singles were 'Road to Nowhere' and 'Once in a Lifetime'.

David Byrne was one of my choices for most unique artists of all time on that thread.
Nieva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flossie wrote:
I'd take that as one huge compliment if I were NH. I can't believe Nieva hasn't heard of him, she must be very young!

Nah, not really (I'm 24)

I'm only ignorant... well, sometimes Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
S. Baldrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How ironic. On the ride home from the Divine Comedy show last night, I played the recently reissued and expanded "The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> TV / Radio / Press archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: