The Divine Comedy Forum Index The Divine Comedy

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where did you see tdc for ist ever time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Live archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jennifer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he did. There's a priest on the background of the bit when Father Dick is singing that looks a bit like Neil (but probably isn't him)
Absolute Power

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he did write The Miracle is Mine. He sang it at a gig I was at in Portsmouth in 2001 in response to the tired requests for My Lovely Horse.

He also did the Kraftwerk stuff on the episode when they raffle the car and a collective of priests entertain the crowd.
Jennifer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget My Lovely Mayo Mammy
janniehr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, thought I would start here, as it gives some background to me.

First time saw live/heard of etc was supporting Blur in Kentish Town on 7th October 1993.
Thought they were great so went out to find out more, no albums relased at that point (except Fanfare - which doesn't really count imo), so i have eagerly awaited all of them.
Since then seen them (in various formats), play live at Phoenix festival as well as at numerous London venues the smallest being the Water Rats at Kings Cross, I too saw them supporting Tori Amos in the London Palladium in 1994, and as they were receiving such a bad reception from the Amos fans, I took it upon myself to haggle (shouting "we love you Neil!) then leaving the venue prior to Ms Amos' arrival in protest.
Also kind of had pizza with Neil and the then still to be Mrs Neil, on my husbands 30th birthday in Eco's in Clapham - they sat at the next table to us. i was soooo star struck that I never even to spoke to him !
St Murph the Dog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was meant to be at the Sean Hughes stand up gig at the National Stadium, Christmas, 1993. Unfortunately there was a notice when I got there saying Divine Comedy cancelled due to illness. Its a great pity as I really needed The Divine Comedy's inspiration in the love department that night. I met a college friend of mine there, that I was besotted by. If I'd heard “Tonight we fly” or maybe “Lucy” then, I might have been inpsired to make the essential leap of faith. Instead shortly afterwards I managed to blow everything. It would be another few years before I heard “Something for the Weekend” and finally get to see TDC when they played support for REM in Landsdowne Road.
Our Mutual Friend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drykid wrote:
I first saw them doing 'Something For the Weekend' on some ITV Saturday night program (I can't remember the name of the program, but Lee Hurst was on it too.) I've still got a tape of it somewhere, must've been impressed to keep it this long.

The Father Ted theme was from before then, yeah? I knew them from that, obviously, but I'd never actually seen them in the flesh, so to speak, until that ITV thing.

The program was called 'Saturday Night Live' and was also the first time I saw TDC play too.
I'd almost turned the tv off and walked out my room but then I saw this stange/cool looking guy singing something completely different.
I stood there thought to myself what the flip is this? hmm... i like it! I like it a lot!
That was it! The damage was done, I couldn't get to sleep for weeks.
Day after day lying in bed, unable to remember many of the words but that tune kept going and going in my head and those trumpets! Wow... those trumpets! Surprised
I think it's still my favourite song, that and Through A Long and Sleepless night (I didn't mean to be ironic there either Confused )
The first time I saw them live was at Leeds Metropolitan University on Tuesday 11th of March 1997.
I've seen them loads since but that first gig was electric and a turning point in my life
hanibul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd read about Promenade in select magazine and saw a few pictures of Neil looking like on other pop star on earth. having a bit of a thing for men in suits and orchestras, i KNEW The Divine Comedy were my band, but being too much of a miser to buy an album without hearing it first in case i hate it, and unfathomably missing THREE live performances on Mark and Lard's graveyard shift, i had to wait until Something for the Weekend, which turned out to be fab. Luckily I did hear the fourth M and L preformance (i think they did SFTW and Your Daddy's Car, but i can't remember the other two) and they were everything had i hoped for. first saw them at V97, with Neil making us all stand with our hands in the air because he dissaproved of the ordinary reaction to Frog Princess. I had missed Mansun (the band i love just a tinsey bit more than tdc, and that would be more than anything ever) inthe signing tent due to a bunch of arseholes butting in the line-3 h
ours i stood, and i had to listen to bloody reef anddodgy as there was no escape from the main stage. i was livid. then i saw the divine comedy.
hanibul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ment to put a smiley there. Very Happy there go.
dillan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first saw TDC supporting ROBBIE WILLIAMS 1998 ish. made big impression and went looking for cd and bought ASAAL. fantastic. next saw them at shepherds bush expecting ASAAL type material, but it was regeneration time. still good. looking forward to palladium!
RuthyMc1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: First Time Ever . . . Reply with quote

I first heard of DCs in a round about way as I had been watching Northern Exposure and the programme was about Dante's Divine Comedy so this was in my head and then I woke up the next morning to Chris Evans' Breakfast Show playing Something For the Weekend. My brother then was bought the Short Album About Love for his birthday and was really miffed that I had listened to it before he had, little did he know that I had already taped it as well. I was completely hooked from this moment on and have seen every gig in Belfast, the first being in June 1996 or maybe 1997 in Botanic Gardens, unfortunately I also had to suffer Brian Kennedy this night but was completely blown away by Neil's voice and in those days, the whole band wore suits, there was a bomb went off somewhere which makes it memorable for the band and I walked past Joby and Neil without recognising them, wouldn't make that mistake again. This was the first band that I had ever made the effort to turn up hours before their gigs to get right up to the front. I also met my friend Morty through the band who used to sell merchandise for them has now moved to Sweden. I have never developed this level of obsession with any other band because they are so absolutely brilliant and I am glad that the new album is so fantastic and back to their old style.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Divine Comedy Forum Index -> Live archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: